American VS Canadian/British English

So I notice this happens a lot. People think others are spelling certain  words wrong but actually it's just how the language is.

I'm Canadian; Vancouver Canada, born and raised. There are quite a few words that we (meaning Canadians and Britains) spell different.

It's just how our version of English is. If I can remember what my Socials Studies teacher told me, she said that Canada was originally under British rule in the 1800 before Canada became independent and not a part of Britain/England.

The thing about spelling words different came from the British way/version of English. That's how words were originally spelt but was somehow changed and altered over the years.

I'm not a teacher; I don't know all of this shit exactly.

Some words such as neighbor(hood), color, favor, favorite, honor, labor and armor are spelt different for Canadians.

We add a 'u' after the 'o'.

Color becomes colour

Favor and favourite become favour and favourite

Neighbor(hood) becomes neighbour(hood)

See the pattern?

Both ways are exceptable in writing.

Also, gray and grey are both correct spelling and for some reason it's fine... English is weird.

One more thing, in Canada, we call Coke and Orange Crush and Cream Soda and those types of drinks "Pop" instead of "Soda"

Some people here still say "Soda" but "Soda" and "Pop" both mean the same thing.

Long story short:  English spelling and wording is just different around the world, especially in Canada and the USA and UK