Avdol x Reader: Summer

Imagine the hottest day you've ever experienced.

Now multiply that by a thousand.

That was what summers were like in Egypt.

The sun's merciless heat waves beat down on the menagerie of people roaming the paved streets of Cairo. The smell of sweat clearly hung in the air along with the faint scent of cheap cologne, courtesy of the roaming tourists.

'Who would be crazy enough to visit Cairo in the summer?'

This thought passed your mind every time the season came around. You sighed at the tourists fanning themselves, complaining of the inescapable heat. You yourself were carrying multiple bags of herbs, supplies and various knick-knacks for the shop. Which shop you ask? Well, only the most infamous, most mysterious, most tourist-attracting shop in all of Cairo: The Magician's Hut.

...

Well, in all honesty it really didn't have an official name yet, but that's what people had started calling it, so it just stuck. Luckily, it was Wednesday: the only day of the week the shop was closed. No tourists, no annoyingly touchy kids and most of all no noise. You always looked forward to that weekday. It gave you time to relax and tend to yourself. However, today was different. It was the third Wednesday of the month, which meant supply restock.

After shoving through crowded hordes of tourists, you finally made it back to the shop. You lifted your full hand and desperately knocked on the door. There was a series of footsteps, a brief pause, then the sound of the door being unlocked.

The nicely decorated door opened, revealing a tall mass of a man. One you were all too familiar with. The man didn't hesitate, reaching for the heavy bags at your hands.

"Looks busy today," the man's deep voice met the air.

You chuckled as you rubbed your hands where the bags' weight had indented, "You have no idea."

The beautifully brown-hued man chuckled, gesturing you to come in with a snap of his head. You smirked, admiring the view of his back as you walked into the interesting little shop.

I guess you could say you and Mohammed Avdol were friends. I mean, you were his co-worker (or maybe assistant at best), so I guess that qualifies. Still, at times you wished he knew you as something more than a friend. More than the girl who stalks around his dimly lit abode trying to find excuses to be close to him.

"Are you thirsty?" Avdol asked as he placed the bags on a small rounded table.

You shot him a smug grin to which he chuckled to, "Ah, Of course you are. Sorry, dumb question."

You shook your head, "Heh, it's fine."

Avdol shuffled into the other room, leaving you standing alone. It was silent save for Avdol's pillaging through the fridge. You decided to make yourself useful and put up some of the supplies.

Despite working there for a long while, you still managed to get lost from time to time. Every turn seemed to lead to a different room as if the building was morphing and changing as you took each step.

"Avdol?"

"Yes," he answered from a far.

"Where are you?" you said with a chuckle, "I think I got lost again."

"Hold on. I'll be right there."

You quietly stood there for a moment, holding the last of the supplies. Avdol was always so polite and helpful. Even when you did something wrong, he'd never show any indications of anger. He'd simply smile and shake his head. Just like now.