Adrianna Araki

People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. That's why this world is in chaos; things are being loved and people are being used.

I wonder about my birth mother a lot, especially when the Andersons start hitting me.

I wonder, "Would she hit me like this? Would she care?"

I go to school with long sleeves and jeans all the time, hot or cold so people won't notice my bruises. I'm one of the more popular kids in school, so I don't want my friends to worry or rumours to spread.

I'm not one of those stereotypical popular girls in books and movies. I'm not mean. In fact I'm only popular because I like to help people. I've made a lot of friends, is all.

My foster parents, the Andersons are the type of people that are one way in front of certain people and another way in front of others. When in the company of my teachers or the social security officers, they smile and hug me. But no one sees that before-hand, they threaten me into acting the same way. My boyfriend Anthony is in a similar situation, in which his foster parents hit him but pretend they love him in front of others.

I don't exactly know how I feel about Anthony...I mean, I love him, but I'm not sure if it's as a girlfriend or...well, or as a sister.  I don't know.

Every day I try to think, "At least I'm not dead. At least I can still function. At the end of the day, they are not worth it." Then I smile.

No one sees our bruises, because we smile.

No one hears our cries, because we laugh.

No one sees, because we make sure they can't.