Chapter 4: Costly Mistakes

I walk into school, with my head high, contrasting my spirits. I clutch the strap of my backpack and walk towards my AP chemistry class so I can just get this day done with. I've got my game plan set, with no one to stop me at this point. I know what I want, and how I want it. I'm ready to take on anything that comes in my path. 

When I get to school, I walk to Sonia's first period class, because I know she always heads to there first to see if there's anything new. When I get to her class, surely enough, she's waiting there. I almost immediately recognize her through her very distinct blonde hair and by the jacket she's wearing. A light coat is hugging her torso, with jeans accentuating her lean legs. 

I walk over to her, and her green eyes shift up from her phone and to me. I give a small smile, and she returns it. "Doing okay? I can still beat his ass if you want to," she says, as she turns off her phone. I shake my head. 

"You're sweet, but no. I don't want that to happen, and more importantly, I don't want you to get expelled. Also, how can you take a first degree black belt take on a fourth degree black belt?" 

She cracks her knuckles and smirks. "Come on. It's happened before. I've taken on a lot of third degree black belts, and I usually win. Don't you worry." 

I scoff. Everyone in the school knows that Sonia can take on anything and anyone with ease. She's beat up the quarterback on the junior varsity team before. If she does want to beat up Ray, which I will never allow, she is going to pound him to dust. 

Eventually, the sound of the bell rings throughout the school, signifying our cue to go to class. Sonia slings her backpack over her shoulder, and walks into her classroom, while I walk towards my AP chemistry class. 

When I get inside, not many people are there yet. It's rather empty, with people probably taking their sweet time talking to their friends before they go bore themselves to death for several hours. I take my things, and sit down on the lab stools. 

While I get out my lab notebook and pencil pouch, I hear someone come up behind me. "Hey, how was your weekend, Sophia?" a somewhat deep voice asks me. I turn around, and Pete is standing there, looking as casual as possible. It's his typical Monday look that basically screams, "I really don't care anymore."

"It was fine. How about yours?"

He shrugs. "Eh, it wasn't too bad. I didn't cry myself to sleep, so that's always a good thing! Plus, my abuela and abuelo are both coming to town next weekend, so I'm kinda excited! Also, is there anything you want? I already asked Ray what he wants my grandparents to bring. You want anything?" He leans against the lab table. 

I smile at him. "You're so sweet. Just get some tajin, duvalín, and gansitos, and that'll be perfect. Thanks a bunch."  I push the top of my mechanical pencil so that some lead shoots out from the bottom.

He chuckles with a nod. "No problem. Say, I'll talk to you in a bit. Later," he says, as he goes to his respective lab table. I open up my notebook, and the next thing you know, my friends Zara, Rosemary, and Amy are Nina are sitting down next to me. 

"You seem down. What's the matter?" Rosemary tells me, as she sets her things down. 

I raise an eyebrow at her. "Is it that noticeable?" I ask, as I sweep a strand of hair out of my face. 

Nina raises an eyebrow. "Well, you're not smiling like someone proposed to you, and your voice isn't as optimistic today. Spill. What's going on?" she asks. I let out a sigh, and then lean in. 

"Lean in. I don't want this to become a huge scene," I whisper, which they do. After telling them the whole story, they lean out, with their jaws dropping to the floor.