One

Skylar's POV

I was seconds away from breaking apart.

It felt like I would. I could almost hear my heart shattering into tiny little pieces. A million pieces. Every possible emotion overwhelmed me, but only one stood out more than the others,

Misery.

All because today was Monday.

The miserable day that led to a whole new week of school? What more was there to sob about? I absolutely despised waking up so early--for such purpose--with a burning passion.

It wasn't like senior year at Crestmont High was a menace to go through. I didn't get bullied or had to face those typical mean girls (ones who had no idea what they were doing with their life choices) or had terrible teachers.

It just wasn't my thing.

I preferred sleeping late. I preferred staying curled up under my duvet more than anything. Except for cupcakes, of course. Which might've been the only reason I had to drag myself out of bed.

"Sky, I swear, only one minute." Alex threatened over the phone. "You've got exactly one minute to get downstairs before I eat all these cupcakes by myself."

That was the most malicious statement I had ever heard leaving Alex's mouth. And he was supposed to be my best friend!

One minute I wanted to sleep for the rest of the century, and the next I was blackmailed into rummaging through my closet to pick out a decent outfit.

Settling on a sweater (one that looked washed) and a pair of jeans, I rushed downstairs and out of my house without saying any goodbyes. Not like I had anyone to say goodbye to. Both of my parents were real hard-working lawyers, meaning that they woke up extra early and came back sometime after midnight.

Sometimes they didn't come back at all, travelling towns or cities over without even letting me know.

I didn't complain, though. My parents and I had this...relationship where I never asked them of their time, and they didn't ask much from me either. Just good grades as long as it gets me accepted to a medical school. Which, let's be honest, gave me nightmares sometimes.

"You're such an elephant for cupcakes," Alex commented as I slid into the passenger seat. "What took you so long?"

I grumbled a response, placing my bag and my dark coat on my lap. Alex hated my sleeping schedule. I liked to think he was just jealous of the close relationship I had with my sleep.

I didn't tell him though, that I was sound asleep until he'd called. Even if that was a usual occurrence, Alex gave me dirty, disappointed looks the whole day if I told him so out loud. And then there were those cupcakes too at stake. Alex might not hand me over the paper bag he currently had in his hands.

"Chicken got in my way," I lied. "And I tripped on the um cereal box. I needed to clean the mess." I ended it all with a short, awkward laugh, patting my bed head. Apparently, I couldn't lie for shit.

Who even laughs just after waking up?