Eight

^^ cover credits: DhiyarDhiya

• • •

Skylar's POV

Trying to act like everything was completely normal the next day at school felt a bit too hard, especially when I had one of my hands wrapped up in a bandage.

Every time I moved that hand even a bit, the constant reminder of last night flashed before my eyes along with the stinging harsh pain. The gash hadn't been that deep and it had stopped bleeding after a while, but it still hurt. And each time, it felt extremely hard not to wince out loud whenever the familiar jolt of pain ran up my arm.

I would've told Alex about it, but something inside me prevented me from doing so. I was still creeped out by the whole incident that had happened last night, way too paranoid for my own good. That guy in the ski mask was still lurking around in my head and I was too scared to call the police.

Maybe I should've. Called the police, I mean. Maybe I should've even called my parents. But I hadn't done any of that. I had been so scared, so terrified. I was still terrified. What if this got worse if I did just that? What if that guy in that black ski mask came after me just because I involved the police?

Not telling Alex was the worse, though. He was always there for me, even when my parents weren't. It had always been like that; we always told each other everything. And now, it felt like I was keeping something really big from him. I hated that.

Someone threw a wad of paper at my back, which bounced over my shoulder and fell on my desk, right in front of me. Knowing that it couldn't be anyone other than Alex himself, I picked up the crumpled paper and opened it. This had always been our way of talking during class lectures.

I smoothed out the paper with my uninjured hand and tried to peek over the words written on it, a bit discreetly since I didn't want Mrs Jackson to find out that I wasn't paying any attention to her words.

You seem so distant today. Did something happen?

I rolled my eyes with a heavy sigh, picked up my pencil, and wrote. It was good that the gash had been on my left hand or else things would've been a lot more difficult than this.

Don't be foolish. Physics's test is coming up and I'm too concentrated on it to give a shit about you.

I scrunched back the paper into a ball and threw it over my shoulder, right where it came from. Thankfully, Mrs Jackson was still not looking anywhere near us. Biology was the only class Alex and I had together.

A few seconds later, I heard Alex snort loudly behind me. He kicked the back of my chair with his foot and I turned my head around, glaring at him. We both got a few stares and Alex gave me a sheepish smile in return as I turned back around with a small, irritated huff.