Sixteen

Skylar's POV

I always hated guests.

Especially the ones who attended my parents' business gatherings. Every one of those people was as uptight as my parents. You'd wonder what all that uptightness might do to a poor, naive teenager like me. But I was used to it by now. Still, adult get-togethers were so incredibly boring.

That's exactly what happened this evening. Mom told me that the reason she and Dad came back early from their trip was that some of their friends and clients were coming over for dinner at our house.

So I got stuck with having a get together of my own. In my room, with my own choice of snacks, and Netflix. Way better than the one going on downstairs.

I didn't even make a move to go downstairs and greet the new faces like Mom always wanted me to. It wasn't just me either. Even Chicken seemed to have the same plans for tonight since she had practically vowed not to step out of my room even once. And I wasn't complaining. She had always been my Netflix buddy.

It was going all fine, with the faint noises of the guests downstairs, and one of my favourite action movies playing on the laptop screen in front of me, until I received the text I had secretly been waiting for what felt like ages.

Get out in five seconds. I'm waiting.
- Caden

I frowned at the screen and read his name twice. How had Caden gotten my phone number?

No offence to him, but that guy could go down to a very creepy level sometimes.

With a small huff, I closed my laptop and hopped off my bed. Chicken purred loudly before snuggling up further into my soft blanket. Then I grabbed a discarded maroon sweatshirt from my desk, which I think was originally of Alex, and shrugged it over my tank top and shorts. Once I had pulled on my sneakers and was about to leave my room, I stopped.

How in the world would I go out when my parents were right downstairs?

Mom would throw a bitchfit in front of the guests if she saw me leaving. A sigh of frustration left my lips and I started pacing across my room, trying to think of a way.

Before I could've come up with anything, my phone buzzed once again.

Caden: I said five seconds, Anderson.

Was he kidding me? Something, however, told me that he might leave without me if I didn't get out of my house right now.

I bit the inside of my cheek a little anxiously and my eyes darted around the room. I could say I was going over to Alex's place. My parents trusted him enough for that matter. And even though I hadn't exactly talked to Alex since last night--after coming back from the homecoming--I was sure he'd cover up for me.

So I walked downstairs as the clattering of glasses and plates filled my ears. I forced a polite smile on my face and tried looking around for my parents in between the numerous amount of adults that were filling up my once empty house.