Seventeen

Skylar's POV

"As for the introductions," Jesse broke the intense, confusing silence. "I'm Jesse. The creep's Adrian. This nerd is Seth." He continued before pointing over at Shane who was already (still) shooting daggers at him. "And that's...Shane."

I couldn't hide the disbelief in my voice. "For real? You guys are a real gang?"

Caden gave me one of those looks. "Isn't that what I just said?"

"It's just surprising."

I hadn't exactly expected to find myself in between a gang. A real gang. Clearly, if there was one person who was sketchy enough to be in a gang, it'd be Caden Miller.

"And you, gorgeous, are the first ever person to know about this." Adrian smiled.

I furrowed my brows, because that's when the questions came. A lot of them.

"Why am I--" I was cut off just as quickly when my phone started ringing out loud. Taking it out of my pocket, I realized soon enough that all eyes were on me.

"Hello?" I answered.

There was just silence at first, and it almost made me fidget anxiously.

"Sky, I don't know what the fuck you're doing but I don't want to get beaten up by your parents, all right?" Alex's exasperated voice broke the silence.

I blinked in surprise. "What do you mean, Alex?"

There was pin-drop silence around me, and all of them were so indulged in hearing the conversation that it almost made me believe nobody was here. Except for Caden, that is.

"She has a boyfriend," Jesse whispered, and I wasn't exactly sure whether the shock on his face was real or fake.

I looked up at him in bewilderment. "Wait, who was that, Sky?" Alex asked.

This was going to be a bit complicated.

"Where are you?" Alex asked again.

"Why?"

"Because your mom's angry, Sky." He still sounded frustrated. "She just called me the third time asking where you were. Does that ring a bell?"

Oh shit.

"Right. Right." I blurted out. "I'll be there. Don't worry." And I didn't think twice before ending the call abruptly. I knew this would be a mess once I'd see Alex again, but right now, Mom was the bigger problem here. If I didn't go back home now, she might just kill me.

Stuffing my phone hastily back in my pocket, I looked up at no one in particular. "Um, I gotta go. It's late and my mom would--I need to head back."

I wasn't surprised when I heard a snicker.

"We don't want her getting killed, Caden," Seth said before plopping himself on one of the dark couches. It was almost as if he had plucked the dreadful statement right out of my mind.

I just nodded in response, widening my eyes at Caden, hoping he'd understand.

"All right, then," Caden stated with a small shrug, before heading for the front doors.

I watched his back and found myself thinking back to those numerous questions that were still crowding my head. I didn't want to go back, not when I had a feeling Caden won't be telling me much after this.