Thirty

Skylar's POV

"I'm so happy that you won!" I shouted gleefully before throwing my arms around Alex in a huge hug. And then I pulled away just as quick. "Ew. You reek."

He laughed and threw an arm around me anyway, not letting go. And God, he smelled awful.

"You came, Sky!" But he seemed so happy too. "What changed your mind?"

I shrugged and smiled back. "Someone convinced me to resequence my priorities.''

"Really? Who?" Alex faced me. "Was it that guy you were cheering so loudly with?"

I managed a small, embarrassed laugh. Alex smiled back, but a bit hesitatingly.

"What?" I nudged him.

He shrugged it off. "Nothing."

"Just to remind you though," I spoke up, leaning back against one of the lockers. "You're dropping me back home."

He opened his locker on the other side and let out a small shrug. "Yeah, I know that."

Blake had to leave just as the match ended, which was quite suspicious. But I wasn't the one complaining.

"We'll have to stop by somewhere before I drop you at your house though," Alex added.

I furrowed my brows at that. Knowing Alex, I was a hundred per cent sure he was talking about the after-match party--which was a bit stupid since it was a school night. School night or not, I never went to any.

"I have school tomorrow." I reminded him.

"I go to the same school, Sky."

"Well..." I trailed off, trying to think of something else. "I'm working on sleeping early these days."

He gave me an exasperated look. "Could you, for a second, not think about your sleep?"

I was about to reply with a no when Coach came barreling in, obviously cheering Alex on how good he was and how much proud he was and blah blah.

I rolled my eyes and once again, backed off against the locker. I loved Alex, I really did, but moments like such just boosted his ego. God only knew how big it already was.

My phone chimed and broke me out of my thoughts. I took it out and was a whole lot surprised to see a text from Caden. Waiting a whole minute sceptically, I finally decided that there would be no harm in opening it.

Caden: Come to the party. Without him.

I read it twice and it left me bewildered each time. Was he being for real?

Then I looked back at the screen, with a lot more doubt this time. Maybe he had meant to send this to someone else. Why would he invite me to such a party when he made it clear he didn't want me near him?

Maybe this was about Blake.

"It's just a party. You never come to any of these after-match parties." Alex glanced at me, rummaging through his rucksack.