The Second Night: Courting

Two days had passed since that fateful night. The palace staff was in an up roar over the behavior of the prince. He had been acting oddly. He was not as focus in his lessons and ate very little. At every opportunity he would hide away for hours. Naturally, every healer and guardian were determined to get a chance to be noticed and be the one to cure the prince of his problem. This only drove him away more.

Atem decided to hide in the garden that his mother loved. Everything that grew in it was something she chose or something she planted herself. Bushes of jasmine, roses, and hibiscus all grew with little care in the garden. In the middle grew one single gigantic tree that tie everything together. A lilac tree. The fragrance of the different flowers would have been over powering if it weren't for the open air that spread out the scents. It was in the tree that Atem took refuge to get away from the all the healers and staff that were convince that something was wrong with him.

There was nothing wrong with him. He was just... he was just feeling tired. He had spent the last two days looking for the girl he had met in every registry they had in the palace, but there was no noble girl by the name Maye. If she wasn't a from a higher birth then who was she and can he still court her? Well, if it came to that he'll just have to think of something, but first he needed to find her.

He leaned back against the tree and stared up at the sky through the purple petals of the flowers. The heat was even worse today though the sun had passed its highest point in the sky. Not even the wind blew a cooling breeze, but the heat had nothing on the emotions that laid within him. That kiss. He couldn't stop thinking of it. Atem licked his bottom lip as he thought about how she tasted. His teeth bit down when he remembered her smile and how she looked when she worried for him. It made him happy that she cared about him even though she didn't even know who he was the night he met her.

Atem froze as he heard a group of people running down below in the corridors calling his name. It was unlike him not to answer. He didn't like for people to worry themselves silly over him, but he needed to be alone. Not a single person thought of entering the garden. They were scared to since it was his mothers place. He smirked as he watched them stop and call around without once bothering to turn their heads his way. The tree only gave so much cover. They would have at least seen his legs. Giving up, the group moved on. 'Oh well.' he sighed, noting that he would have to apologize later.

XXX

"My King, please listen to us. It's clear that this affair with the Prince choosing his own wife is too much of a strain on him." Aknadin stated with parts of the nobility agreeing with him.

"For goodness sake, the young Prince is just having an off day or two. With this unbearable heat I don't blame him." Shimon interjected.

"I agree with Master Shimon," Isis added calmly, "Prince Atem has always worked very hard and he is taking this matter very seriously."

"Indeed," Shada nodded, "he has even come up with a way to select a proper wife. I'm sure this will pass."

Akenon grinded his teeth at the remarks the three were making. His foolish brother was always too soft when it came to his son. This was the future of the kingdom they were talking about. Not just anyone should be married into the bloodline. He turned his head to his own flesh and blood who said nothing and looked disinterested on the topic.

It should be his son's place to lead this country not Atem's. Seto took things more seriously than that pampered brat. "Priest Seto," He said calmly, hoping that he could say something to get the Pharaoh to change his mind, "is there anything you wish to add?"

The man turned his cold blue eyes to his master then looked up at the king and merely said, "I believe what Master Shimon said is right. It's too hot. We should be worrying how the citizens are doing and not how the Prince is day dreaming for the first time in his life." Aknadin shoulders slumped as his son sided with the others. If he only knew what he could be! "However," Seto continued, "if this starts to impede on his duties then we can have this discussion again."