The Years Before the Letter

Note: I will refer to Grell as Grell now. OK continue with this strange AF fic.

Harriet is now like 8 years old.

OC character alert(don't worry, they wont interfere to much)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Mummy! Mummy!" called a small girl with red hair, though not as red as her mother's, and hazel eyes. " Wake up! Wake up!"

Grell, whom was trying to gain some extra sleep, was abruptly awoken by her little daughter. As much she loved Harriet, she didn't like her habit of barging in her room and becoming an alarm clock per se.

Grell woke up with a rather sour look on her face. Her pretty red hair, tangled and sticking out in every direction. Grell reached out to the nightstand that stood by her bed, and picked up her red glasses. She put them on and stared at her very wide awake daughter.

" Harriet Charlotte Sutcliff!" she lightly scolded. " What have I told you about coming in and waking me up for no reason?" Harriet squirmed in place, trying hard to suppress a giggle.

" Umm, not to do it?" she responded sheepishly with a small smile. Grell sighed. Why did Harriet have to be this adorable?

" Well now that I'm awake," Grell sighed. " Let me wash up and I'll make us breakfast."

" Okay!" Harriet said triumphantly, and skipped out of her mother's bedroom.

Grell dragged herself out of her warm bed and into her bathroom. She quickly washed her face and combed out her entangled scarlet locks. Grell left the bathroom and chose her classic red work outfit to wear today. She walked back into the bathroom and applied her mascara to her lovely emerald eyes. After deciding that she looked ready for the day, she walked down to the kitchen where she saw Harriet waiting in a sun yellow dress with white polka dots and her red hair in two braids.

Grell thought today's breakfast should be eggs and bacon, simple but one of Harriet's favorites. Grell cracked a few large eggs into a frying pan along with some thick cut bacon(see image, yes it's Ghibli). It didn't take long for the breakfast to finish cooking. As soon as it was done, she plated the food and walked over to the table where an eager Harriet was waiting. Grell placed Harriet's plate in front of her, and then took her leave to sit down and eat. Harriet and her mother both ate silently, but in content.

After breakfast had been finished, and the plates were cleaned and put away. Grell motioned for Harriet to come with her. Since Grell and Harriet both knew that Harriet was not a reaper, Harriet could not attend the academy that Grell had went to. Instead Grell would drop her daughter off at Undertaker's, or Uncle Aiden's, funeral parlor. Undertaker was Harriet's teacher. He taught her everything about human anatomy and sciences, basic mathematics, sewing and baking tips, and even history. Though her history lessons would get her in trouble later one.

Since Undertaker had been around for such a devilishly long time, he had a lot of stories and secrets to tell. Most would say he was a liar and a drunk. All Harriet knew was that Undertaker was very old and quite honest, so he knew more about history than most. Undertaker told her everything relating to the Queen's Guard Dog, and never skimped on detail. Though when Undertaker made the mistake about telling Harriet about the 'Jack the Ripper' case, Grell was later bombarded with questions from her daughter. Luckily for Grell, Harriet was very understanding and could tell that her mother deeply regretted that period of time.

Soon Grell arrived at the doorstep of Undertaker's parlor. With no need to knock, The mother and daughter pair walked in. They were greeted by Gwendolyn Kilgore. Gwendolyn was a young girl, around the age 10, that was Undertaker's apprentice. Gwendolyn was mortal like Harriet, but she had no family, since they died in a car crash. Her parents' corpses were taken to Undertaker to be prepared for a burial, which Gwendolyn could not pay for. Out of pity Undertaker gave them a nice and dignified burial. Gwendolyn, feeling the need to repay him, works as his apprentice in order to pay off their burial funds.

" Hello Ms. Sutcliff, Harriet," Gwendolyn greeted, looking up from sweeping. " Undertaker is in the back. " She pointed to the door in the back corner of the store.

" Thanks Gwendolyn!" Harriet called. " Bye Mum!" She waved to her mother before disappearing to the back of the store.

Grell blew a kiss to her sweet little daughter, and left for the dispatch, her work.

Harriet walked to the back room of the parlor where Undertaker was waiting.

" Hello Harriet," He spoke, flashing his trademark smile." Shall we get to work, my dear?" Harriet smiled at this and nodded. Today was going to be another good day, just like yesterday, and the day before that.