Two

thank you M_Rainberry for the beautiful cover ^^ 💛

• • •

Skylar's POV

"Why aren't you eating anything?" Alex asked, eyeing my untouched lunch tray.

Normally, food would've been my only desire at this moment, but right now just the sight of it made me all queasy. Rethinking about what exactly I had done to fuck with my fate.

I glanced at my tray once more before muttering, "I got a C." With a frown, I looked him straight in the eye. "Again."

I picked up a cold fry and chewed on it, hoping to work up an appetite again. It worked for all of five seconds before flashes of my Physics's test paper and a big red C on it appeared right before my eyes. I suppose I had to accept the fact that I could definitely not have lunch today.

A small snicker escaped his lips, which made me pass him a wounded look before he gave me the sincerest apology, "That sucks, Sky."

I glared at him this time and he put his hands up in surrender. Sometimes, I found myself wondering how we had managed to become friends in the first place. It's not like Alex didn't care about his grades--they were decent--but they also weren't his first priority. I, on the other hand, cared a lot about my grades. And it wasn't like anyone could blame me. I had my lawyer parents to live up to.

"Mom will freak out when she sees my report. It's the third time, Alex. Why is this even happening to me?" I rambled with wide eyes. I felt really sorry for myself.

It wasn't like I was a total nerd. I didn't even study every night and hugged textbooks wherever I went. I didn't like studying. But I still managed to get acceptable grades.

All except for Physics, it seemed. I had sacrificed my sleep for this one test. I had spent the entire night memorizing each and every bit of my notes, so much so that I was completely sure I'd ace it. But when the test papers were passed out, I'd forgotten everything almost immediately. My mind had just gone blank.

"Don't be too hard on yourself, Sky. You'll have another test, what, next week? Another bright chance for you to ace it." He reassured me. I furrowed my brows at him. "You'll do great."

"Was that supposed to make me feel better?" Because it didn't.

I had expected him to dodge the topic off like this. Like I said, he didn't care about his grades. Not as much as I always had to. But then again, his strong suit was sports. And I sucked at sports. So much so that coach usually, mostly didn't spare me much of his energy during PE classes.

I shot Alex a disapproving look. His parents focused more on his athleticism and only worried about grades when he was on the brink of being kicked out of a class.

With my parents, it was all about the GPA.

"Is there anything that could cheer you up? Perhaps a chocolate cupcake?" He suggested as if he hadn't deceived me earlier. I think that was the whole point. To reopen my wounds.

"What? Why?" I snapped.

He grinned sheepishly. "Well, I've got a favor to ask."

I eyed him cautiously, then scooted away a little. "Depends. Does it have anything to do with the boy's restroom?" An event I did not want to think about. I was desperate at that time, okay?

"No, of course not. It's not quite that drastic." He replied, his gaze flickering away from mine every few seconds. "I mean, it's just a small task."

I let out a laugh. "Sorry, Alex, but I don't want to be a victim of this school's social media again. Last time one of those pictures went viral, I'm pretty sure even Harold saw it." Harold, being the principal, hadn't thankfully called my parents. Would've been a disaster.