Chapter 10: Flight of the Castle

"Well Father, the Castle of Lions is nearly ready to take flight once more," Allura told Alfor's Artificial Intelligence; as she and Lance stood before the hologram of the former Altean King. "I hope I can fly it properly."

"I'm sure you'll do fine, Daughter." Alfor chuckled. "Right now, I couldn't be prouder of the two of you. A responsibility of this extent for those of your ages is not an easy cross to bear; yet, you both seem to be handling yourselves quite well."

"Well, of course, we got it covered Uncle Alfor," Lance stated in a macho attitude. "I mean, we were born to become leaders someday." However, the Prince's confident façade then faded into a saddened one. "But we kind of..."

"You wish that the real me was still here to see you both become the people I knew you were destined to be," Alfor stated in a melancholy tone. Neither Lance nor Allura spoke up, but their silence served as the A.I.'s answer. "I understand that feeling; I wish I could be here to place my hands on your faces once more; embrace you both in my arms. I would give anything to do those one more time. The both of you have to look out for each other; continue to protect and guide yourselves and the other Paladins through the thick and thin of the challenges before you."

"We know, father," Allura said stoically. "We will defeat Zarkon and free the universe from his grip; one world at a time."

"I know the two of you will do everything in your power to stop Zarkon," Alfor said with confidence. There was then a knock on the door.

"Princess. Prince. May we come in?" Coran asked through the locked door behind the two Altean sovereigns.

"It looks like you two need to attend to your duties." Alfor pointed out. "I'll be here if you still need someone to speak to."

"Until next time." Both Allura and Lance said simultaneously with respectful bows.

"Until next time." Alfor calmly said before the hologram vanished before the Alteans.

Allura and Lance wipe the tears from their eyes before heading over to the door and unlocking it; on the other side of the door stood Coran, Garnet, Pearl, and Matthew. "What do you need Coran?" Lance asked the royal advisor.

"Matthew and I finished making the necessary modifications to the castle; so, it should be flight read." Coran summed up ecstatically; but his tone changed to concern upon seeing saddened looks on both of their faces. "Are you... are the two of you okay?"

"We're fine, Coran," Allura assured. "We just talked with father."

"Oh, I see," Coran responded in a sympathizing tone.

"Are you sure you two want to do this now?" Pearl asked the sovereigns. "We can wait another day before taking off if you want."

"Your heads do need to be in the game if we're going to save the Balmera." Garnet quickly stated. "Physically and emotionally."

"We are as ready as ever, Garnet," Lance assured the Fusion with confidence in his tone.

"Where are the others, if I may ask?" Allura questioned the group.

"They're in the dining room, having breakfast," Matt informed, before looking up and down at the two Alteans. "Speaking of breakfast, did you guys even eat this morning?"

"No, we haven't." Allura embarrassedly admitted. "I don't think it would be a sensible idea to fly a castle on an empty stomach."

"Aw yeah! more of Amethyst's cooking," Lance shouted with excitement; before remembering that Coran was in the group. "Um... no offense Coran."