37

Ellie's POV

I kept my hood up despite the heat and walked around like a tourist, pretending to take pictures of the palace in all its glory. The huge black gates were guarded by two stern looking soldiers who never moved, somehow. I paced around for a bit, the nerves building inside before I finally heard a voice that caught my attention.

"Come on guys! Let's get a picture by the guards!" I turned slightly, my sunglasses blocking my face as I saw one excited guy dragging four other guys and a girl towards the palace. The girl huffed and folded her arms.

"Ash, I'm going shopping." Her voice was like nails down a chalkboard to me even after so long.

"Katie." I muttered as I slowly began to head to the other guys casually, not making eye contact with them as I pretended to be texting.

"Let's get a picture!" The guy I assumed was Ashton shouted out. He had brown hair that was styled like a guy from the musical Grease. He had the sides slicked back but the front was curled down onto his forehead. Next to him, I spotted a very glum looking Calum. Despite his mood, He looked just as beautiful as the picture Ashton had sent me - if not more beautiful. His dark hair was swept over to the side as he adjusted his top that was tucked into a pair of black skinny trousers. He looked gorgeous, sad but gorgeous. His eyes met mine for a second before I realised my shades were mirrored so he'd never know it was me. I opened my conversation and sent one to Calum quickly.

Me: i miss you cal hope you're having a great time sightseeing

I looked back up as his phone chimed. He got his phone out of his pocket and read the message, a smile appearing instantly on his face.  "Hey you there! Green hoodie girl?" Ashton shouted, waving over at me. I stopped in my tracks and put my phone in my pocket.

"Yeah?" I played it casual.

"Could you take a picture of us in front of the palace?" Ashton asked, giving me a sly wink. A smile grew on my face which I quickly hid as I nodded.

"Sure thing!" I said as Ashton handed me his phone. They all stood together in front of the palace and I took a few pictures, some posed and some stupid which made me laugh.

"Thank you!" He shouted at me. "Calum, get my phone please. I'm going to speak to a guard." He shouted over to Calum who rolled his eyes and made his way over to me reluctantly, hands in his pockets.

"Thanks for doing that." Calum said half heartedly.

"It's no problem," I said. "Could I quickly have a picture with you?" He looked back at his friends who were all dorking around in front of the guards. The 'guy' Ashton said he was bringing was looking over to us with his phone pointed in our direction. My stomach was in knots as i waited for his answer.

"Uh yeah sure." Once again his answer was halfhearted. I frowned at him.

"It's cool if you don't, you seem upset." I pressed but his hand went round my shoulders.

"Just jet lagged." He laughed it off. "Honestly it's fine." I snaked my arm around his waist as I stretched my arm out as far as I could but couldn't seem to get a good angle.

"Sorry, would you be able to take it? Your arms are probably longer than mine." I smiled.

"Of course."  Calum said as he stretched his arm out and got a perfect angle.

"Oh sorry, let me just take my hood down. Can't have a bad picture with you." I stalled as I pulled my hood down and took my glasses off. As if in autopilot he did his signature smile and took the first picture. I looked into my phone screen praying he was going to notice it was me. My stomach tightened and my legs began to shake. He went to take another but looked at the screen to check the angle. His eyes narrowed in confusion before he lowered his arm and stepped away from me, spinning round to face me.

"Ellie?" He questioned.

"Hi Calum!" I said excitedly. His face lit up as he pulled me in for a huge hug.

"Oh my god!" He said as he rested his head on top of mine, our hug staying tight. "I can't believe it!" Neither of us could stop smiling as we hugged each other for what felt like forever. A few people had seemed to catch on to who they were and what was happening and began to take pictures.

"It's so nice to finally see you!" I spoke into his chest. "I wouldn't have missed it for the world!"

"Did you come straight from work?" He pulled me away, holding me at arms length. I nodded.

"With help from Ashton, we came up with this plan." His friends all walked up to us with big smiles on their faces too.

"Els!" Ashton ran up and hugged me, spinning me round. "The plan worked!" We high fived each other once he'd put me down. "This is Luke the Boss, and mikey." He introduced me to a tall blond with hair down to his jaw that was curled and one with swept over rose gold hair.

"Nice to meet you Ellie!" Luke gave me a quick hug.

"Yeah nice to meet you finally!" Michael hugged me too.

"It's so great to see you all. Thank you for coming all the way here." I grinned. Calum stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"My day has just got a million times better." He grinned hugely. "I still can't believe it!" I nodded.

"Yeah. Sorry I don't look so fresh. I've been up since yesterday morning." I shrugged.

"You look fine." Calum gushed. "Just as beautiful as always."

"Alright lovebirds!" Michael laughed. "Shall we get Ellie some coffee or something?" I nodded happily.

"Please!!" I said quickly. Everyone let out a small laugh. We all began to walk to the nearest coffee shop and Ashton rushed to walk beside me and Calum.

"Can I borrow your girlfriend?" Ashton asked, emphasising the word girlfriend.  Calum looked at me and smiled.

"Sure, but bring her back soon." He said chirpily. Ashton grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the group.

"What's up?" I questioned, confused.

"Katie." He said quickly. "She's been different today and I think it's because you weren't here. I'm pretty sure she only wanted to see you." His shoulders sunk down as he let out a sigh.

"Aw Ash I'm so sorry." I put my hand on his shoulder. He let out a small smile.

"Thank you. I knew I should have listened to you and Cal. Now I feel like an idiot."

"Don't. You weren't to know. You'll find someone good for you soon, I know it." I smiled as I squeezed his shoulder.

"Maybe I should text a random number." He said seriously before breaking out in a fit of laughter. I laughed along with him.

"I never thanked you for your bad handwriting." I said as I looked over to Calum and then back to Ashton.

"No problem! Probably the only time someone will thank me for it." He smiled as he ushered us to catch back up with the group.