Chapter 4: Like a liar

Thoughts
Speech
____________

"Who are you?"

I didn't gain a reply.

They were both staring at me as if I had two heads. Was I not supposed to be here?

"Can you answer my question". My voice spoke in monotone.

Yet again, I didn't earn a reply.

Are they deaf?

"N-Naruto", her voice was close to a whisper. The girl, with the pink hair, attempted to knock her friend out of his current state.

"Naruto!" She shouted, this time she stole the latter's attention.

The blonde's head shot to her direction. "I'll go call Kakashi-sensei". She left as soon as she said that, leaving me alone with the obvious orange-lover.

"Wa-wait" he stretched out his right arm towards the girl, who ran down a series of stairs, easily disappearing within seconds.

It was clear he didn't want to be alone with me, but he could have at least answered my previous question.

"Sorry about before", the blond scratched the back of his head, smiling sheepishly

Naruto was sitting in front of me with his legs crossed and back facing the door. I too was sitting in the same crisscross position.

"I was just surprised to see you awake when you were just sick moments ago".

"Who are you?" I asked once more, annoyed by the fact that it has not been answered yet. I had noticed his name was Naruto but I wanted to learn more about his status and our current location.

"Naruto Uzumaki, the future Hokage of the Hidden Leaf Village! BELIEVE IT!" The blond was pointing at himself, smiling bright whilst announcing his dream me.

...I only nodded, unaware of what a 'Hokage' was.

"You seem confused". His smile dropped. "Do you know what a Hokage is?"

No

"Yes". I said, you know, like a liar.

"Good!" He beamed once again. "What did you mean I was sick?" Now remembering what he had said earlier.

"Oh, right! On our way to Old man- I mean Tazuna's house-"

Does he mean this house?

"We saw you laying on a thick tree 
branch, breathing heavily. We thought you had a fever but when Kakashi-sensei checked your pulse, he told us you were on the verge of death-"

...Laying on a tree branch?

"So Kakashi-sensei was carrying you for a while until we had to fight an enemy who we thought we defeated but recently found out that he faked his death to escape-"

Enemy? Is he a ninja?

"Kakashi-sensei was injured and wasn't able to carry you anymore so Sasuke carried you". He finished his explanation, looking at me, expecting me to ask questions. And I did.

"Are you a ninja?"

"Yep! An awesome one from the Hidden Leaf!"

"Who's Tazuna?"

"He's the guy we had to safely escort back here for our mission".

"So the house we're in right now is Tazuna's?"

"Yep!"

"How old are you?"

"12 years old! What about you!?"

I'm probably 12.

"I'm also 12" I smile at him, seeing a speck of pink form on his checks before looking away. However, I was more concentrated on why Byakuran had left me on a tree branch and why I was ill than why he had blushed when he saw me smile.

"W-why were you on the tree branch and why were you sick?!"  He quickly composed himself.

I've already lied to him before, maybe I'll just bend the truth this time.

"My friend-"

The door behind Naruto slowly opened, revealing a boy with black hair and an older male with grey hair whom I assumed was Kakashi-sensei since he was using crutches to walk into the room. Oh, let's not forget the cherry-haired girl that walked in quietly behind the raven-haired boy.

Their arrival startled Naruto.

It surprised me that he hadn't heard them coming considering the loud sounds Kakashi was making whilst struggling to get here.

They all sat in front of me, and I even noticed the short look of shock on both the faces of Kakashi and the boy whom I believed was Sasuke.

Kakashi sat to the right of Naruto whilst the pink-haired girl sat on his left side and Sasuke on her left.

They were all staring at me which felt highly uncomfortable.

Kakashi was the one to break the silence with a question. "How are you feeling?"

"Better", I sent them a warm smile, easing the peculiar tension in the room.

"Why were you in that state?" Inquired the girl who I concluded was Sakura.

It's time to test my lying skills.

"I was running away-"

"From what?" Questioned Naruto.

"Don't interrupt him Dobe". The voice came from Sasuke.

"YEAH NARUTO!"

Why was she shouting?

"TEME!"

"That's enough". Kakashi stopped them before they could start a full argument. "Sorry about that", he gave me a closed eye smile.

"It's alright", I sent him a smile back.

"Anyway, I was running from...", I paused to see Naruto lean slightly towards me, curiosity forcing him to.

"My family".