Chapter XXVII

This one is quite short but I swear my next chapters will definitely be longer.

I trace my finger over the first line in the assigned play still just as confused as the first time I tried to understand it.

I laugh at myself silently, flipping through the pages to figure out how many I actually have to get through before last period.

I must be considerably late, as the halls are almost vacant, except from a few younger girls who were clearly skipping lessons giving me dirty looks and throwing around the occasional smart remark.

It isn't working.

My brain doesn't understand this language.

Othello?

Really, Miss Henry?

We've just read Macbeth.

She's already set me, and only me, a personal task to finish reading 'King Lear' in one sitting.

Why was I the only one in the class given this extra work, you may ask?

Well, The question is pretty much self-explanatory.

I think that the teachers hate me even more than the students do.

I just don't want to see any more Shakespeare this week.

I ignore the passing groups of boys intentionally shoving past me, and whistling as I leave.

I start whispering the words to myself, as though that will help it make more sense.

"I take it much unkindly that thou, Iago, who hast had my purse As if the strings were thi-"

With a loud thump, the play slips from my hands.

My brain doesn't react quick enough to prevent me from falling to the ground painfully.

"Watch where you're going, nigger."

Rubbing my arm, I snap my head up to look at the source of the voice in front of me.

Ellie.

Sighing heavily I push myself up against the lockers.

Ellie, and all her friends.

Yep, all three of them.

"Sorry," I deadpan.

Due to my lack of height and despite the fact that they're all three years younger than me, all of the girls stand a few inches taller than I do.

"Sorry," repeats Ellie, mimicking me with a grin on her face.

All the other girl beside her laugh, loud and irritatingly.

I roll my eyes, grabbing the play from the floor and walking past them.

Before, all of a sudden, a strong hand lands on my chest stopping me from moving any further.

Looking down at the hand, I realise that it belongs to the pale, brunette who was standing next to Ellie.

"Where do you think you're going?" She challenges.

I take her hand off and push it away from me slightly angered.

"To class," I spit.

Her face goes from smug to shocked.

I shake my head in boredom and disappointment.

"And I need you to move so that I can get there."

"I'm sorry who do you think you're talking to?" She snaps.