Chapter XXXVI

****

Staring at the letter in front of me, a large smile spreads across my face.

Then it vanishes just as quickly as it appeared.

I push the bag of ice against my arm, hissing while trying to ease the pain from the darkening bruise on my arm, that's spread a considerable amount since yesterday... at school.

He left.

He left with Lauren.

Then they came along. David, showed up and...

I read over it again, having memorised the words this time:

Dear Ivory

I know that I've been gone for an unexplainable amount of time.

You must be worried sick, or maybe furious at me as I promised I'd return in about 3 weeks and I have been gone for more than 6.

I can't explain how sorry I am that my time here has been extended so much.

I hope that while I've been gone you have managed to enjoy yourself as usual, keep yourself safe and work hard in school.

And that you are doing well with the restaurant.

However, my absence will not last much longer, as I am planning to come home in a week and 4 days.

You may be wondering why I have been gone so much longer than promised.

And I swear I will give you the answer when I get home.

Sincerely from Papa

I hold the letter tightly almost hugging it like a mother would hug her child.

A week and 4 days.

Only.

Picking up a pen and paper, I scan through all the thoughts in my head that I need to write to him.

Dear Papa

You're comfortable and in a good place while you're gone, and you mustn't feel it necessary apologise to me for not being here. 

It could be a whole extra month before you came back, and I would still not be furious or angry whatsoever.

I cannot with complete honesty say that I've been happy since you left, but there is not much change there.

How did it go, with aunt and everything?

To answer to your letter, yes, I've kept myself safe, school is passing by just fine and the restaurant is unusually lively as our average weekly income has doubled.

I'm glad to hear that you're coming back soon, and I'll wish you a safe journey back to Birmingham.

I guarantee that you are safer and better off now then you or I will ever be in Alabama.

But it doesn't matter, because I miss you so much.

Cannot wait for you return.

Love, Ivory.

I sigh to myself picking myself up off the floor and making my way to my room.

So many books and not enough time to read them all.

Ugh.

So much pain and not enough food to drown in.

I carry on doing what I've been doing for the past few hours that I've been here.