Chapter Four: Oblivious Date

Day 2,196 since being on a date...

Fall, it's always been my favorite season since fifth grade; the cool breeze, orange and brown leaves coating every inch of surface, excuse to wear sweater every day, and longer nights. I sat outside on the park bench, fumbling with the sleeve of my sweater while watching Liza run around with her park buddies. She was happy, content with herself and life, while I was having a battle field in my mind on not to screw up on my date tonight.

I felt like that fifteen year old girl who's going on their first date, I pace back in forth in my room, stand in front of the mirror with the dress I'm going to wear that night, and go over the questions that'll ask over and over in my head. I was giddy, trembling on the inside out, while trying my best not to stress out and grown that one large pimple in the middle of my forehead. I let my head fall back to look at the gloomy sky and take in the cool breeze.

"Having a mid-life crisis?" The familiar low deep voice filled the silence around me, mixing in with the laughter and excitement of children. The space beside me was filled with the same tall buff body I've been seeing around. "Did you know this is the only local park for miles between home and school?"

I sat up straight while combing my hair back. "Yup, that's why you see a lot of parents from school here. Where's Jennifer?"

"On the swing set."

I averted my gaze to the tiny brunette girl sitting on the swings by herself, while kicking dirt. "Did she make any friends yet at school?"

Jax ruffles his hair, biting down on his bottom lip as he tried to push the painful answer out. "No, she's not very social. Even in Colorado, she's very... shy."

"You don't mind if I interfere?"

"Whatever you think will help."

"Liza!"

The little munchkin ran in front of the playground before dashing our way. "Yes?"

"Liza, this is mister Jason and he has a daughter, her name is Jennifer. She's sitting on the swing set, why don't you introduce yourself and give her a little company. Jennifer is new in town."

Liza looked over to peek at the shy girl, she tapped her chin to think how to approach Jennifer without coming off too strong. "Okay." She chirped before running off to make a new friend. Jax and I watched in awe, Liza stepped to Jennifer with a wide smile, obviously introducing herself by taking the swing next to her. They both sat there talking, giggling as if one of them weren't shy. Then after a few minutes, Jennifer was out of the isolated comfort zone by running after Liza around the playground.

"It seems I owe you another drink."

I chuckled to myself before turning my body towards him. "No need, just being a civil citizen, helping out newcomers and shaping the town to actually be a good place. Besides, I hate when kids doesn't feel like they belong, it's ruins the whole point of being a kid."

Jax was definitely more relaxed now that his daughter has at least made one friend, it was the fourth worry on a parents mind when it comes to their children; the first three is sever injury, bad life choices, and following with potential jail time. "Ready for your date?"

Date... Jax arriving has distracted me from the one thing that kept my mind racing. "As ready as I will ever be. Another question, if you brought your date dinner at the most expensive restaurant in town, would you expect something a little more than jokes and a kiss on the cheek?"

Jax lips tugged into a smirk, eyes averted to the girls before focusing them back on me. "Well, to be blunt, yes. Depends on the restaurant."

"The Paterian."