2. wants + needs

"Where's that intern girl?"

Ana rushed forward through the small crowd of her co-workers, who snarled at her as she moved past. She stumbled over her own two feet, practically falling on her fact, as she came to a stop in front of her boss.

"Here, sir," she held a box of files firmly in her hands, her bag slipping down her shoulder.

Ana's boss, Mr. Carlyle, scrunched up his nose and pursed his lips at the intern. "Where's my coffee?"

Ana stepped back as the crowd stampeded past her, and the box dropped down to her feet. She rolled her eyes and huffed soundly, seeing that the papers had spilled all over the floor.

Ana picked them up quickly before following after the crowd to see the files down inside the room being used for a shoot today. She took her badge out of her bag in order to leave the building for the mans coffee; three blocks away.

She went by foot, as taxis were useless omg the city. No one else seemed to agree with on the subject, but that's because walking on foot to those richer than the poor was disgusting. What a first world problem they faced.

Ana stood in line for half-an-hour at the chain-cafe, tapping her foot and watching the hand in the clock move grudgingly slow. She wanted this day to be over already: it was Friday, and that meant Laura had some sort of activity lined up for them.

Laura had just closed one of her shows on Broadway, and was currently earning her income by doing many shows at 54 Below and her usual voice lessons/audition preps.

Ana was infatuated with how beautiful Laura's career was, and how wonderful a person Laura was in general. Laura had worked so incredibly hard to get where she was at in life right now, and Ana could only hope she would be at peace like Laura someday.

When her name was called for the coffee, Ana stepped forward to retrieve it. She walked out of the coffee shop right after, taking long strides back to the studio.

Ana was rounding the corner of the block when he phone started ringing. She dug for it in her purse, her head low as she continued walking quickly through the bustling sidewalk. She pressed that phone up to her ear just as she ran square into someone's chest.

Her phone fell face down and most likely shattered, the coffee being squeezed between Ana and the other persons body. It burnt down the front of both of their shirts, causing Ana to curse and jump backwards.

The stranger groaned loudly, glaring down at her. "What the hell? Watch where you're going!" They pulled the shirt away from their body and sped away.

Ana sighed, feeling the tears well up in her eyes. Her boss' right hand man had been calling her, most likely wondering where she was. She gingerly picked up her phone to see the entire screen full of broke glass. It still worked. She only knew this because of the loud voice from the speaker.

"Hel-hello?" Ana seethed her teeth at the hot coffee on her skin and stepped off to the side of crowd.

"Anastasia Devit! Where the hell are you? Mr. Carlyle has insisted that he'll fire you if you're not here in five minutes, coffee or not! Hurry up!" Mr. Carlyle's right hand man- Robert- shouted at her.

Ana's eyes filled with tears at the mention of getting fired, but her alter ego took over her mind. Maybe getting fired would be a good thing. She wouldn't have to work the misogynistic asshole that is Mr. Carlyle. She almost wanted to get fired from this job.

But she needed it more than she didn't.

Ana rolled her eyes and replied with a gleeful tone, though she was frowning, "I'm so sorry, Mr. Hugh. There was a stranger not looking where they were going who ran straight into me. I'm right outside the building, though the coffee was spilled."

Robert huffed annoyingly and hung up on her. She shoved her phone into her back pocket and promised herself that she would get drunk as hell tonight.

During intermission, Ben cornered Jeremy in his dressing room before Jeremy could lock the door. The eldest man groaned when he saw Ben sitting on his couch and tossed his Newsies cap harshly onto his vanity. It knocked down a few hair products, causing a soft clink the fill the room. Ben stood up sharply when Jeremy slammed the door shut.

"What the hell do you want?" Jeremy sat down in his chair, slouching as he glared at Ben.

"We need to talk," Ben crossed his arms and rose his eyebrows high onto his forehead.

"About?"

"Stop playing dumb, Jer. It's obvious that you're taking the divorce hard, but acting the way you are isn't going to help. You're isolating yourself from everyone, even me, and it's getting scary. You need to talk to us." Ben ran his hand nervously through his hair.

Jeremy stuck his tongue into his cheek and rolled his eyes furiously. "Ben, the only thing that I need to do is my job. Which, if you haven't noticed, is going perfectly well. I haven't fucked up this yet, and I'm not planning on it."

Ben frowned, "But-"

"But nothing." Jeremy cut him off, "I'm fine. When I need to talk to someone, I will gladly call you and tell you everything. But right now all I want to do is wallow in self-pity and do this show."

Ben scoffed and moved for the door, which he whipped open. "Whatever, Jer."

He went to walk out when he turned around to face Jeremy, "I don't even know why I'm trying to comfort you when you're the one who caused the divorce by cheating on Ashley. I should be comforting her. But, no, I'm trying to be a good friend and comfort you, Jeremy."

Jeremy felt the tears well up in his eyes and he stuttered out Ben's name. He could feel Ben paused outside the door, listening to whatever sorry excuse Jeremy had to say. All he did reply with was, "Thank you."

Ben walked away with a slumped stature as Jeremy readied himself for the bar.