28. september rain

A week after Ana's escapade across the city, she had finally finished editing all of the photos and made the website go live. Business boomed almost immediately and twice as many began calling Ana's office phone. It wasn't as popular as the company had been prior to Mrs. Fray's husband passing, but it was busy enough to make Ana feel more than accomplished.

She hadn't had a chance to print an extra copy of the first photo she took to give to the group of people living on that street corner, but she had a reminder written on a sticky note on her desk. Jeremy had even reminded her to tell him when she was going so he could tag along.

Ana hadn't spoken much to Ben since he reunited himself with Jeremy. They had only called one another once to talk about what they other was doing that week. Ben was booked daily with vocal lessons and one or two auditions, depending on what his agent wanted. He was, simultaneously, planning a 54 Below show for the next year. Overall, he was too busy for dinner or drinks.

Ana was not all that upset. She was quite happy having her nights free that week: free to finally have dinner with Laura, to possibly see Ashley since she hadn't done either in nearly a month.

She'd had dinner with Jeremy twice that week by the time Thursday rolled around, and a third outing was planned for that day. So, when the time came, Ana checked with Mrs. Fray to clock out and she made her way to their little cafe for lunch.

They had both agreed to try everything on the menu the first day they'd had lunch that week, something that they had been talking about doing for a while now. Ana got there before Jeremy, so she took their seat in front of the picture window and ordered something for the both of them.

She had stuck her head into her phone, so she didn't notice Jeremy walk in, shaking rain water out of his hair. She greeted him with the widest grin when he took the seat across from him.

"When did it start raining?" Ana asked upon seeing the downpour snaking rain droplets down the window.

"As soon as I walked outside." Jeremy laughed at his luck. "Looks like you were lucky enough to escape it."

"Probably won't be the same case once we're done here," Ana crossed her arms over her chest. She shivered slightly due to the September chill weeping through the windows of the building.

Jeremy noticed this, "You cold?"

Ana wriggled sheepishly, "Nah, I'm just dancing."

He rolled his eyes at her sarcasm and pulled his arms through the sleeves of his hoodie, "Should've brought your coat. Fall's right around the corner and it's getting colder outside. The rain doesn't help."

Ana accepted his jacket by pulling it over her head. As she situated it, she replied, "No, I know, I just always forget to check the weather. My minds always somewhere else in the morning."

"Too focused on work? Hm? Maybe, I don't know, Benjamin Fankhauser," Jeremy wriggled his eyebrows at Ana from across the table.

Ana wished she had blushed or that her heart palpitated. But she was still cold and hungry, her stomach growling in a half hearted response.

"Mainly work," she brushed off the latter words from her lunch companion.

Jeremy went to respond, but a waitress excused her way to their table with their food balanced in her hands. They talked their way through lunch, about Ana's work, the many auditions Jeremy was performing each week.

When their plates were clear, Jeremy offered to walk Ana back to Mrs. Fray's apartment building. She nodded in response, as per usual, and they both went to pay for their halves of the check.

Every time they went out for lunch or dinner together, they had the same routine.

There was a comfortable silence as they walked to Ana's work. The rain seemed to be holding up for their escapade, but it was still sprinkling. Occasionally, Jeremy would bump his shoulder against Ana's and she'd nearly topple into a puddle. He'd steady her by grabbing her waist or forearm.

And she'd blush.

Two blocks away from Mrs. Fray's apartment, Jeremy cleared his throat.

"Can I ask," he paused, looking for Ana to turn her head to listen with reassurance, "do you even- are- do you love him?"

Ana's feet seemed to skid to a stop. Jeremy's chest hit her shoulder as he came to a sudden stop, too. "What?"

He wrapped a hand around her upper arm and tugged her underneath the gutter of a building beside them. "You okay?"

"What did you ask me?" Ana started up at him.

"I," he hesitated, afraid it would upset her, "I asked if you loved him. Him being Ben."

Ana jutted out a hip, crossed her arms like earlier, "Is it any of your business whether or not I love my boyfriend?"

Jeremy looked taken back by her response, "Ana, I didn't mean to offend you. I was just-"

"Curious?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, don't be. My relationship is my privacy." Ana turned her nose to the sky in a snooty manner.

Jeremy attempted to move on with an apology, "Ana, I'm sorry."

"Yeah, don't be. It's fine."

"Are you su-"

"No."

Jeremy was beyond confused with Ana's bipolar responses. He had never known her to be so back and forth with her emotions, but it seemed that she was struggling with something at the moment. 

"Ana?" Jeremy held onto her elbow loosely, swaying it back and forth.

She turned towards him, a sad look in her eyes. Jeremy didn't say anything else, just gently put his arms around her back and gravitated her towards him. She held tightly to his torso, biting back tears of stress and indecisiveness.