chapter one

"Alright, you have approximately five minutes to finish up the test!"

Just like I estimated, the students quickly wrote their answers, not really giving the right ones. Hah, these punk ass kids don't even know they have exactly 20 more minutes till time's up, I thought wickedly.

Then I snickered and laughed, catching their attentions.

"Why are you laughing?" One of my students, Keith asked. I pointed my index finger up above my head to show them the clock. All looked up and realization hit them like a truck. One by one, they started to shout at me.

"Oh come on! Miss Kael! You've been doing that since last year when will you stop?"

"Oh my gosh, you just made me piss myself!"

"Fuck. I knew this was gonna happen."

I was still laughing like crazy until I motioned them to quiet down. "Alright alright, calm down. I was only doing that to see if you guys were really studying for this test. But from what I observed, it seemed you all were busy doing something else last night."

Some of them mimicked me and others were telling themselves how stupid they were to believe me. Oh how I love being a teacher.

"Now, since I know that none of you will be getting anywhere above the targeted marks I have set, I have an announcement to make."

"You're quitting?" Jay asked as if he was excited, making the whole class laugh. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Unfortunately no. I will actually be taking you to a Geology museum."

All of them groaned and wailed. I just did nothing and made an evil cackle, rubbing my hands like I'm some wicked scientist.

"Wait." We all paused and gazed at Kate who was sitting near me. "Weren't you a marine biologist?"

Then I froze like I ice. That topic was really a sensitive one to talk about. Ever since that accident happened a few years ago, I hadn't brought up anything about my past life as a marine biologist. I could still hear the screams that was calling out my name. I should've saved her. I should've-

"Miss Kael!"

I jumped a bit, finally realizing that I had been silent and staring blankly at the floor for a few minutes.

"Sorry, that topic is quite sensitive." I said, looking apologetically at Kate who did the same. Suddenly, the bell rang, indicating that's the end of school.

Everyone stood up from their chairs, grabbed their books and started heading out the door.

"The trip is tomorrow. I'll inform all of your parents. See you guys tomorrow." I announce for the last time before exiting the classroom. While I was placing my books into my handbag, I realized Kate standing in front of me.

"Can I help you?"

"I'm sorry Miss Kael. I didn't know that topic was sensitive to you."

"Don't worry Kate. You had no idea, it's fine."

"Thank you."

"No problem. Now get out of here."

Kate flashed a satisfied smile. "Okay. See you tomorrow."

I waved at her instead of saying anything. Once I was done placing everything inside my handbag, I exited the classroom and then also the school. Thankfully, I had no meetings or anything so I was finally free to go home. And that I did.

Finally arriving, I parked my car in the driveway and entered the house. As expected, there were boxes laying around. Not all were closed. Some were opened and had clothes coming out of them.