Part 5

"I know."

He pulled up and I looked out only to find a convenience store.

"You said your day was tough. You're probably hungry." He said smiling.

I took that moment to appreciate his kindness and I didn't notice that he was already opening the door for me.

We bought some  juice drinks and snacks. He also got me some dark chocolate bars 'since I had a tough day'. I offered to pay half but he insisted to pay for it so I told him I'd pay next time.

When he turned the engine on, another car pulled up and I was sure it was Lauren and Ty.

Well, okay... She has to do something. I have to do science that's surely not her bad joke 'biology'.

I'll be able get over that soon.

The ride home was fun. I didn't tell him my address and we had a small predicting game. I would predict if he would get it right and he would predict which turn to take. We had to turn back a few times but it didn't take us long to get here.

The front door was open and mom wasn't in the living room.

"Mom!"

"Kitchen!" She answered.

I told Will to put down his bag and the bags of food on the couch.

"I'm with my new friend. You remember Will from church, right?" I started talking to her while walking into the kitchen with Will.

They greeted each other. Thankfully, it wasn't the formal way. I don't want Will to feel uncomfortable in here.

"Why are y'all home early and where's Normani?" Mom asked.

"There was a problem with our schedule and the prof was a little grumpy he made all of us go home." I joked and mom laughed.

Her life was different. I feel different too. I mean I joke but today, I feel a little closer to mom.

Maybe it's all thanks to Miss Lovato.

"Normani's still in her last class and she's still driving Mila and Dinah home."

"What about Lauren?"

"She was with me in my last class so she left early too. She said she'll be here for dinner but still not sure."

She sent me a look that I couldn't seem to comprehend.

"Well, I wasn't expecting you to come home early so I'm not yet done preparing snacks. Sit down." She told us.

I'm kinda excited for our little science experiment but I guess I need a really short break from academic stuff.

Will and I sat down while mom kept on talking to us.

"How's the first day?"

"Will's here for that reason actually. We were already given our weekly activity for Science. I also have an assignment in Literature."

"Be thankful, that's probably a sign that this academic year will be productive for you, young woman."

"What about you?" She looked at Will.

"I have an assignment in Literature too. But my day was pretty amazing."

Mom talked to him for about a minute or two and I just enjoyed it that way.

After she finished preparing snacks, Will and I ate and mom spent some time on her phone. She called Will's parents too to assure that they know that Will would be home late.