Chapter 5

Lauren Jauregui’s POV

Friday, April 6th, 2012

We were now five miles away from a phone call. The only thing that can go wrong now is if the car runs out of gas, but there’s still enough to make it. Just five more miles and we are instantly closer to finding out the truth. In this family, the truth always seems to be so difficult to get ahold of. We were taught to always tell the truth. We were a very close family but even then we all had secrets we wanted to keep to ourselves. It’s just a natural thing and we respected that. However, I couldn’t respect the decision my mother and father made to keep the voice in my head a secret. It wasn’t their choice to make.  I deserved to know.

The one thing I learned from all of this, is that no matter how scary the truth may be to someone, you have to tell them because they can’t be left in the dark. It isn’t your decision to make whether they should know or not. If it involves them, especially if it involves their life in danger, they should know. But my mother and father never bothered to tell me until recently. And now… how am I supposed to find them if I have no idea what’s going on?

If I would have known this secret would make my parents go missing then I guess I much rather live in the dark for the rest of my life. I didn’t think this would be so serious. It’s just a voice in my head after all.

Why is it so important to those people that my parents keep it a secret?

“Do any of you have signal?” I asked my siblings. I didn’t want to keep thinking about this. I just need to focus so I can get my brother and sister to safety.

They haven’t spoken for most of the car ride and I didn’t bother to make conversation.

“No.” my brother whispered weakly, looking at his phone and then tossing it next to him. Both of them looked so dead… so… miserable. To be honest, I do not know how to make this any better. I don’t even know where I’m going. The GPS ran out of battery, I’m basically driving blind. I’m not even supposed to be driving but this is the least of my worries.

“Mine is dead.” My sister responded as well.  “What’s going to happen when we get there?” Taylor inquired, I looked at her through the rearview mirror. That’s the question isn’t it? What is going to happen? It’s not that I didn’t think we make it this far, it’s that I really don’t know. What’s going to happen to us? What’s going to happen to my parents? Are the police going to make a search party? I don’t know what the future holds for us. No one does. And at a time like this –it’s fucking frightening.

“When we get there we will be calm. We will ask the employee if we can make a phone call to call the police and then we’ll call grandpa shortly after. We will see what’s going to happen from then on.”

“We just gotta keep it together, right Lolo?” Chris added. I nodded my head and drove faster.

Three miles left…

Two miles left…

One mile left…

I could see the gas station’s sign flickering in the distance. I pressed on the gas and made a sharp turn, eager to finally get out of this car that solely reminds me of the events that occurred. Shifting the handle to park, I hastily took off my seatbelt and got out of the car, gasping for air as if I drove off a bridge and sunk into the water, dying to get a breath of fresh air. Chris ran to my side and looked at me with wide-eyes that were filled with worry.

“It’s okay sis.” He tightly hugged me and helped me stand up. “We’re here.” He smiled as joyfully as he could.

I managed to keep calm and walk inside the gas station with Chris and Taylor. It was empty. Not a surprise, I mean this is just a pit stop for people traveling.