Escape Artist

Robin

"There she is!" Robert's voice bounced off the marble floors of the dining room.

My head snapped up to find the outline of the woman I had tucked into bed a few hours ago. She was radiant, of course, as she approached the table.

"I'm so sorry." Kat ducked for her seat and Bobby hopped up to help her. "I slept in."

Z's eyebrow shot up into her temple as she swiveled to give me a look. I'd been fifteen minutes late to this morning's call and named the same excuse. Though, I hadn't looked as endearing as Kat when I delivered the line.

"Let's get you some coffee." Muffy fussed, gesturing for a waiter.

A young islander sashayed over with an amiable smile and a question in her expression.

"May I have a green tea?" Kay requested sweetly as the sun glinted off the color in her skin.

"I admire you," Muffy said while our waitress departed. "I always say that I'm going to drink more tea, but I then I run straight back to caffeine."

"Tea has more caffeine than coffee in some cases, mom." Maggie corrected from a few seats down.

As they bickered over hot beverages, Z held up her napkin for privacy.

"Anything you'd like to tell me?" She hissed expectantly.

"Nope." I smiled and took a sip of my cappuccino.

"You know I'm going to ask Kat, right?" She pressed while still holding up her linen partition as if it did anything.

"Yup," I replied, sending a winning smile down the table at Robert.

"Robin, my boy, you look refreshed!" Robert laughed. "You ready for Monday?"

"We're almost there." I nodded at him. "I'll be finalizing the presentation over the weekend, but there's some additional discovery that we need to do first."

"You sure you have time for a long drive?" Robert crooked his head.

"Sure he does!" Bobby laughed. "If I know Robin, work is what tired him out last night!"

Kat's lips twitched knowingly as she stared down at her napkin, which stirred a rumble in my chest.

"I'm looking forward to it, actually," I told him. "Plus, Z and I will be taking a call from the road."

Z's head whipped around again with a pained expression. "Sorry." I mouthed.

"I thought you were kidding." She complained as our server came back with Kat's tea.

The ambiance of the dining room faded to a quiet hum as Kat looked up gratefully at the waitress. Maggie leaned over the table to peek.

"Green tea always smells like dirt." Her nose wrinkled like a rabbit.

"Maggie!" Muffy scolded. "That's rude."

"It's fine." Kat laughed charmingly. "I had to get used to it myself. Do you want to hit the buffet with me while this cools?"

"The papayas are incredible this morning!" Maggie assured Kat as they flounced away.

Robert watched them depart with a pleased smile, then, turned to his son.

"So, Bobby," Robert guffawed as he stabbed a bite of his omelet. "Will you be asking for grandma's ring any time soon?"

I snorted my mouthful of coffee, spitting it back into my cup as I tried to steady myself.