Chapter Eleven

By the time April rolled around, Elizabeth had become of extreme importance to Annie and her allies. Elizabeth had brought in more people to them in three months than Annie's most loyal companions combined. While she didn't exactly care for or feel passionately about the "mission", she still needed a place to stay until she was ready to kill Tom.

At times, Elizabeth became so focused on pleasing Annie and staying in her good graces that she completely lost sight of what she really was aiming for.

One morning after successfully rounding up three young wizards, Elizabeth enjoyed her morning tea at the head of the table, the others sitting timidly on the sides. Annie was out of town and had appointed Elizabeth to oversee the others. This had happened before, originally inspiring protest from the rest, but they slowly began to accept Elizabeth's true power over them.

Sitting in silence, the group ate their breakfast. On the furthest end of the table, Carolina sat, her eyes tired, wrists scarred from thrashing against the restraints which had forced her into compliance. Elizabeth gave her a small nod.

She felt the cool locket against her chest, still, after many months, waiting for Tom to open it again.

"Elizabeth?" a petite woman with frizzy, red hair, named Wendy, entered the room with an envelope. Elizabeth turned her head, setting her tea down while she gave her attention to Wendy. "This came for you."

For a moment, Elizabeth wondered what mail could possibly come to her. She was supposed to be dead, after all, but wasn't doing that spectacular of a job keeping the secret of her existence.

"What business does Dominic want?" Elizabeth asked as she read the front of the envelope. Wendy shrugged, retreating to her spot at the table.

E,

Congratulations on your accomplishments under Annie's advisory. Unfortunately, Annie no longer is with us, not dead, she just has moved up. Seeing as you are the only reasonable fit for the head of this particular branch, I would much appreciate it if you could come for a light supper at my abode tonight for a small introduction to the others. My address is posted on the envelope, if you haven't noticed.

Truly,
D

She was pleased that he hadn't used her full name, only marking the letter with her initial.

"Well?" Wendy asked. "What is it?"

Still not quite sure herself, Elizabeth set down the letter, "Annie isn't coming back, and I will be your advisor until further notice, I suppose."

There were a few murmurs. Wendy spoke up again, "She's not... dead, is she?"

"I would most certainly hope not," Elizabeth chuckled a bit, trying to lighten the grim mood. Nobody laughed. After finishing the meal in silence, Elizabeth dismissed those who had remained seated until she had finished herself. She was not a true born leader as Tom, Annie, and Walburga had been. It was only an assigned position and she felt she didn't deserve it.

Back in her room, which had not changed in style since her arrival, Elizabeth began thinking of what she would wear to Dominic's. She wanted to be able to make an impression on whoever she would be meeting there.

After trying on three outfits, the first an elegant ball gown she had stolen, the second being the gown she wore during the dinner with Vlad, and the last a more fitted red dress with a sweetheart neckline, she decided on the latter. It wasn't something she had ever worn before, but it gave her immense confidence. She knew most of the people who would be in attendance to Dominic's dinner would be older than her, so she had to look the part. Sometimes, she forgot that she would only be turning seventeen in such a short while. Honestly, the days passed so slowly and quickly at the same time, Elizabeth didn't regularly know the date.