Chapter Fifteen

"Darling, you will be alright, just tell the truth," Elizabeth advised her daughter. Over a year later, her daughter had become exponentially interested in recreational narcotics. Now, entering her final year, she faced expulsion from Hogwarts. She was caught in Knockturn Alley purchasing pills from a wizard guilty of murder. Elizabeth was supposed to meet with Dumbledore, who had since become the Headmaster. "Sweetheart, its time to go," Elizabeth called up the stairs. Dominic had been in his study, working. She tapped the end of her cigarette against the ashtray before they left.

"Mum, what if I get expelled?"

"You will be just fine, your father and I will work this out," she cooed, running a hand over her daughter's head. "Dominic, are you ready?"

He came trotting down the stairs, tying his tie in a hurry. "Sorry," Dominic apologized, looking tired.

"Sweetheart, are you alright?" Elizabeth noticed his untidiness.

"Yes, just feeling a little under the weather is all," he gave a reassuring smile.

They joined arms and quickly apparated to Hogwarts where Dumbledore had authorized them to go. Immediately, Dumbledore and another number of parents and students were visible. They were obviously all involved with the outbreak of narcotic usage. Elizabeth straightened her posture a bit, having the urge to reach for another cigarette; the sight of the parents made her nervous, and she knew quite a few of them.

After the shock of the people, she looked around her. She was in the corridor near the Great Hall where the meeting would be held, undoubtedly due to the large number of students involved. It was the first time she had really seen the castle since she attended it, other than her brief visit with Dumbledore.

Her eyes wandered over to the portraits a little ways down the hall. "Darling, I'll be just a moment, need to use the toilet," she told Dominic, making a silent exit.

She walked further along, gliding her fingertips along the stone walls. After a moment, she saw the portrait of the women with the basket.

"Who goes there?" the woman said, peering out.

Elizabeth hesitantly walked into view of the painting. Not expecting recognition, she spoke up in a confident tone, "I was wondering where I could find the toilet?"

"In my hundreds of years here, not one student has asked me for directions, with the exception of one." Elizabeth's stomach dropped.

"Why do you think that is?" Elizabeth asked, not wanting to prompt any knowledge of her identity.

The woman smiled, "Most students of Hogwarts do not talk to us, for they are used to us by now. However, foreigners, like you, always make for delightful conversation. I feel exceptionally helpful."

"Foreigners?" Elizabeth repeated.

"My dear, portraits do talk, and they know what happens both inside and outside of this castle's walls," she ominously told her.

"I apologize for the misunderstanding, I have to go," Elizabeth embarrassingly said goodbye. She had a pit in her stomach and hoped that no one had heard the portrait speak.

She walked back to the Great Hall until a sickening sight gave her eyes a well-deserved burn. There was the white as snow hair that belonged to none other than Abraxas Malfoy. Elizabeth watched as he stood in the same area.

The knot in her stomach grew even tighter as she saw him walking towards her daughter and husband. A younger boy was by his side. "Is this the wait to speak with Dumbledore?" he asked confidently. The adults looked between each other, confused, as the boy only seemed to be eleven.