Chapter Twelve

"Tom, I don't understand why you won't let me come!"

Tom Riddle, on the other side of a closed door, sighed, rubbing his hands over his face. He had to admit it was a mistake allowing Walburga Black to join him, but it seemed right at the time. The girl had tried to permanently dye her hair blue using a charm to become even more unrecognizable, and her family had no problem with her disappearance; they wrote to Hogwarts saying she would not be returning. Evil really did run in that family, yet it wasn't entirely reciprocated on Walburga's end. It didn't matter anymore, though. School had ended for everyone the previous spring, and no one knew to look for the missing group anymore.

"Tommy!" she squealed through the wooden door.

Tom, having enough, ripped the door open and shoved his wand to her throat. "If you say that name one more bloody time, I will make your bones expand just wide enough so that they can't quite break through the skin, yet your skin is white from having them pressed right up against them. Is that what you want? Do you want your bones nearly tearing through your skin?" he screamed through gritted teeth. "Leave me alone, and go back to your room."

Slamming the door in her face, he sighed again. She was a menace, yet Lestrange had convinced Tom to let her come along, being his relative.

Taking his head out of his hands, he looked across the room to the tin box that he hadn't opened in months. It was the mysterious locket that had happened into his possession. After locking his door, he wandered over to the box and took out the necklace. Opening it, he saw his reflection. "Hello?" he asked, hoping it would prompt something to happen. Quickly, a flash of brown hair made him scramble to clutch the locket more tightly. As he looked back again, he saw her face, just for an instant. She looked different, but it didn't phase him. He figured if she were still alive, she would be eighteen and a half years old.

"Tom?" she addressed, appearing once more.

"Elizabeth?" he whispered, watching as her image remained in the frame. "Where have you been?"

She chuckled softly, "I am where I have always been."

"I don't understand, can you only communicate through this locket at certain points in time? Explain this to me, please," he begged.

"I can address you whenever I please."

Tom shook his head, "This artifact puzzles me more than anything."

"As it was intended to," Elizabeth responded. She wanted to end the conversation. It was an unseasonably warm, late October evening and she had made plans with Dominic. Yes, they were officially together at that point. One could say they had passed the bounds of friendly dating and had moved into a serious relationship. After going public with their relations, Elizabeth did rise in the rankings of her new community. Before Tom could respond, she clasped the locket, cutting him off.

Elizabeth looked around her room. It was not the same one she had been in when she arrived. As Annie had gone, she had nearly taken over the entire household. It was strange to her. She never had any intention of continuing Grindelwald's mission as these people did, yet she felt a strong attachment to them. Elizabeth was particularly proud of the fact that she had decreased the amount of muggles killed significantly, as well as muggle-borns. They only tracked down those who deserved to be taken in, such as those who had betrayed Grindelwald without reason.

Her new room had an elegant balcony overlooking a forest. Every morning she spent there, she would drink her tea and watch the world. She wondered if somewhere out there, anyone still thought about her.

"Elizabeth?" Wendy peered into the room, opening the door slightly. Elizabeth tried her hardest not to make the others fear her like they feared Annie, but the precedent had been set to an amount she couldn't control.