one

~      

         Zayn loved summer mornings like this; the sun is dawning beautifully over the horizon while cool, fresh wind swept through the air.

        He loved these mornings so much, because they inspired his drawings. The delightful mood of the moment always relaxed him letting his mind create notable pictures that he copied onto his drawing pad.

        Every morning for the past few years he would wake up at 3am and go to "his spot". Zayn never slept well, maybe a few hours on a regular night (five is a good night's sleep to him), so one night he went exploring in the dark and found a broken down tree house. Ever since that night he would climb up the tree and stay in there until the sun dawned and drew.

        He took a deep breath as he watched out the "window" (which was only a rectangle that was cut out of the side of the tree house, but it gave him the perfect view), and let his mind soar.

        "Soar," he thought, "like a bird."

        He soaked up his visible surroundings noticing a branch the stuck out slightly in front of the window holding a nest baby birds. The small creatures were singing their hearts out. As he studied them he set the image in his mind and began to draw.

        He never looked up once as he drew every shadow and detail until the nest with chirping baby birds was copied onto the page.

        That was a gift Zayn possessed; drawing from memory.

        Usually he would just think of something he saw and draw it, but today he decided to do it a bit differently.

        He examined the drawing with a smile on his face when he heard his mother calling his name.

        He knew it was his mother because:

                a: her voice

                b: she was the only other person who knew about "his spot"

        He carefully climbed down from the tree seeing his mother with her arms crossed at the bottom.

        "Zayn Javadd, I told you at the beginning of this school year, three weeks ago, that you have to be home by seven so you have enough time to get ready for school and catch the bus," Tricia Malik said as Zayn jumped down from the tree.  "-and be more careful! I don't want to be dragging you down to the ER anytime soon."

        Zayn smiled, "You haven't had your tea yet have you, Ma?"

        Tricia narrowed her eyes playfully, "No I haven't, I've been too busy searching for my little punk son who needs to go get ready for school."

        Zayn chuckled following her back to his house.        

        When they were inside he ran upstairs and took off his sweater and joggers changing into loose jeans and a graphic tee-shirt. He finished getting ready and ran downstairs where his mother had pancakes laid out for him. He smiled sitting down at the bar instantly digging into his breakfast.

        "Do you have your art project finished?" Tricia asked setting a glass of orange juice beside his plate.

        "Yeah, used pastel color combinations making a drawing that I drew last year into a painting," Zayn enjoying that his mother had brought up his art.

        He heard little feet pad into the kitchen, "Morning, Ma, morning, Zaynie," his little sister Saffa said climbing into the chair beside his where Tricia laid her pancakes.