Chapter 2: Hi Fun Kou Gai

Hi Fun Kou Gai, ひふんこうがい - Japanese for miserable anger/despair over a situation that seems terrible but cannot be changed
_____________________________  

 I opened my heavy eyes, squinting at the dim light shining through the room, the source of it probably being a window.

The room.

I was in a room.

And someone was touching me.

I flinched backwards opening my eyes, realising someone was pressing something cold to my head.

It was a grown woman, in her thirties most likely, with beautiful, striking green eyes. Her dark, coal black hair with blue streaks rested on top of her head in a tight bun.

"Hey hey, everything is ok. Easy does it," the woman cooed, placing one arm on my shoulder to push me down, the other arm still holding the source of cold to my forehead.

My chest heaved in fear at the unknown individual, yet her eyes brought me unusual comfort.

I settled back into a lying position, calm but still examining her every movement with my eyes.

I scanned the room quickly. Victorian-styled, with cream colored walls and dark wooden flooring. The windows were large, with soft white drapes hanging in front of them. The bed, dresser, and bookshelf were all made from the same wood the floor was made of, complementing the rooms aesthetic. A human sized mirror leaned against the corner of the room, and small essentials sat on top of the dresser.

But it was empty. It wasn't home.

I opened my mouth like a fish out of water, gaping at the woman and trying to say something, to form some sort of sentence.

Fortunately, she interrupted me promptly, noticing my struggle.

"Miss. Peregrine, delighted to meet you," she smiled, nodding her head down lightly.

"Ashlyn Wainwright," I mumbled, eyes still wide, face still confused.

Then it dawned on me.

Peregrine.

Peregrine Falcon.

Bird.

Ymbryne.

"Y-you're an ymbryne?" I stuttered out, eyebrows furrowed slightly.

"Correct," Miss. Peregrine smiled, "Miss. Wainwright you certainly are a miracle. Both for surviving a hollowgast attack, and being a combination of peculiarities. Allucikinetic, cardiokinetic, and amokinetic. Absolutely incredible, I must say."

I was about to respond before it dawned on me.

The attack.

The children.

"Where are the children?" I questioned, sitting up rapidly, causing my head to throb heavily.

"Miss. Wainwright, please take it easy," the ymbryne ushered, trying to get me to lay down once again.

"Where are they!?" I questioned, a broken expression on my face, my voice cracking.

Miss. Peregrine sighed, shaking her head lightly with pursed lips.

"They're dead, Ashlyn. We couldn't save them, and there was no way you could have saved them. It's a miracle even you are still alive."

She talked more but I blocked her out. They were dead. I promised Miss. Tanagers I would keep them safe, that I would protect them.

But I didn't.

Those children lost their lives.

Tears filled my eyes, my pale cheeks turning a light shade of red, my hands beginning to tremble lightly.

"Oh dear," Miss. Peregrine started, noticing my saddened expression. She quickly wrapped her arms around me, burying my face into the crook of her soft neck.

I wrapped my arms around her small frame, letting the tears fall down my face.

She rubbed my back reassuringly.

There was something about this woman.

Something so motherly and safe, so supportive and reassuring.

"You must be so overwhelmed, I'm so sorry darling," the ymbryne spoke lightly.

I pulled back, wiping my eyes with my hand. I looked down, noticing I was wearing a large white shirt, possibly a males, and a blanket covered the bottom of my body.

"Oh, the shirt is Mr. O'Connors, he not-so-very easily lent it," she chuckled.

I smiled a soft, sad smile, sniffling.

"I'll be leaving you to your peace dea-"

"Wait," I interrupted, extending my arm towards her as she start getting up, "I-I'm sorry, I just. Where are we?"

"Cairnholm, Wales, dear."

"When?"

"September 3, 1940."

"And ho-" I started before being interrupted.

"No more questions," Miss. Peregrine stated, "you can ask them tomorrow."

I nodded slightly, gazing around the room once again. My eyes landed on the pocket watch next to the bed.

"Dinner will be ready soon. I'll ask Emma to come help you downstairs when it is ready, if that's alright with you?"
I nodded.

"I'll see you then," the ymbryne winked at me before slipping out of the room, shutting the door lightly behind her. Before she did, I noticed a group of children and teenagers standing in front of the door, trying to peek behind her as she shut the door.

And as soon as Miss. Peregrine exited I heard muffled noises of the children asking her questions. A few sentences stood out.

"Who is she?"

"Why is she here?"

"Can she leave?"

Miss. Peregrine shushed them and I heard them leave the front of the door, their footsteps light against the creaking wooden floor.

Except for the footsteps that sounded like iron shoes.

I sighed sadly, playing with my fingers.

This was my new home.

I had to forget about the past.

Miss. Peregrine said it herself, I couldn't have saved those kids.

Or could I?

_____________________________