Chapter 27: Piłka Nożna

Piłka Nożna - Polish for football
_____________________________

"Can I have some sugar, pleaseeeee," Claire squealed, dragging out the 'e', her tiara slipping off her soft locks.

I giggled, straightening the silver object and pouring white grain into her mug.

She sipped at the cold ice tea through her pink straw, smiling as the flavours burst out onto her tongue.

"Watch out!"

It was Hugh, except his warning was a tad bit too late.

A medium sized, muddy ball banged on the table, landing right on top of the pitcher with cold tea as the girls screamed. Emma quickly grasped at the glass container as it spilled a bit, and I grabbed the ball, raising it above my head.

"You're so dead, Apiston," I threatened playfully, "never ruin a girls, especially a princesses, tea party."

I took the delicate white heels off my feet, setting the ball on the ground.

"Millard, Abe and myself against you and Enoch," I smiled.

Enoch's head whipped around from where he was sitting under our tree, and he smiled, taking off his sweater.

The boy hadn't been challenged to a game in a long, long time.

It felt good.

"Deal," Hugh lined his teeth with his tongue, "You're going down, Wainwright... And Nunnings... And Portman..."

"We'll see about that," Abe laughed, high-fiving me as we all set ourselves up.

Enoch jogged over, whispering something to Hugh as they both laughed.

The girls, and Horace, all stood at the side, watching and cheering.

"You guys start, might as well give you an advantage," Hugh snickered.

"Nah, ladies first," Millard cackled.

Hugh rolled his eyes jokingly as he placed his foot on the ball.

"3, 2, 1, GO!" Emma yelled, on team Abe, obviously.

Hugh passed the ball to Enoch who started speeding towards our goal.

He was surprisingly fast.

As Abe approached him, the deadriser quickly kicked the ball towards Hugh.

The only advantage they seemed to have was that they had plays.

But we had a fierce girl, a strong teenager, and an invisible boy.

I eased on him slowly, following his every move and moving backwards as he went forwards.

But I didn't attack.

"Not gonna do anything, Wainwright?" He teased.

He attempted to perform a trick pass through my legs.

Key word, attempted.

I saw right through it, kicking the sphere through his legs instead, and running around the beekeeper with my tongue out.

"Better luck next time, Hugh," I laughed, speeding towards the goal and smoothly kicking the ball in before either boy could stop me.

The girls and my teammates cheered, the boys high fiving me.

"What the hell, Ash, didn't know you could play," Enoch said.

"You don't know many things about me," I winked, jogging back towards our goal.

-----

And so the game continued, and the two teams found themselves in a tie.

3 -3

I bent forward, wiping the sweat off my forehead and taking in deep breaths.

"Next point wins it all, deal?" Hugh asked.

I shook his hand.

We had a tactic. And I can tell you that if this didn't win us that last point, nothing would have.

Abe started with the ball, running slowly, taking his time.

As did I, merely jogging across the field from the boy.

Hugh and Enoch knew something was up, and they eyed every single one of our moves.

Hugh proceeded to rapidly tackle Abe, and the boy shot the ball ahead of him, slightly to his right as I sprinted towards it, my heart pounding in my ears.

And then I felt myself running into a stronger body, like running into a brick wall.

Cinnamon and rain.

Enoch grunted, and then tripped backwards as if somebody pushed him.

I squealed, falling on top of him as his arms fastened around my shoulders to ease the impact.

All sounds became blurred, all objects mute, as I placed my arms next to his biceps and straightened my elbows.

Our faces inches apart.

Our breaths hitting each others.

A iron chain pulling us towards one another.

"WE WON ASHLYN!"

Millard screaming and Abe pushing my body off of the deadrisers.

The two boys tackling me, jumping on top of me with hugs.

Apparently, according to later questioning, Millard had taken off all his clothes, pushed Enoch back, stole the ball, and scored a magnificent goal.

I laughed and watched as Hugh took off his shirt, wiping off the sweat from his face, helping Enoch up.

The smaller peculiars all jumped on top of our small pile and I grunted under the weight.

Fiona approached the beekeeper, placing her muddy hand on his shoulder and they both smiled at each other, silently speaking.

"Alright, alright, get off of her," Miss. Peregrine chuckled, walking down the concrete steps of the house, ushering the kids off of me.

I stood up, wiping my dress as I laughed.

"You basically cheated," Hugh said, pointing at Millard, a smile tugging at his lips.

"Excuse me, embracing your peculiarity is NOT cheating!" Millard retorted.

"And Ashlyn just distracted loverboy over here. I'd call that cheating," Hugh continued.

The kids all oohed and ahhed as Enoch's cheeks heated up.

"Yeah, yeah, shut it Apiston," the deadriser growled.

It seemed as if things were back to normal, like they were before.

As the kids all scattered around the garden, the excitement fading, Enoch approached me and we shook hands, sparing small smiles at each other.

"Good game, Miss. Wainwright."

"Good game Mr. O' Connor."

_____________________________
A/N:
Thank you so much for reading this chapter!
Kinda wanna ease the tension a bit after Victor's death with some cute chapters so I hope you enjoy them :)
Thank you all soososos much for 11k <3 ily all
Any feedback is appreciated xxx