Chapter 31: Ship

Ship - to endorse a romantic relationship" (Urban Dictionary)
_____________________________ 

Keeping a relationship a secret wasn't easy.

Especially considering the fact that Enoch O' Connor and Ashlyn Wainwright were completely and utterly obsessed with each other.

Whether it was sneaking into each others rooms at 3 in the morning just to sit against the walls and talk, or pulling the other into a dark corner of the house for a quick kiss, it didn't matter.

It was difficult.

They wanted to tell the kids. They really did.

Well, ok, Ashlyn did. Enoch was hesitant.

His reputation would disintegrate.

The tough, rough, mean boy who didn't care about anything.

Because, honestly, he didn't want to care.

He didn't want to feel so vulnerable towards someone else.

But love was a curse.

A poison he drank with his tea one morning.

And yeah, of course Ashlyn mattered more than his rep.

But he didn't want to get hurt.

Not again.

-----

"What the hell?!"

A confused Apiston boy, and the sound of his head hitting the bottom of the table during dinner.

"Language, Mr. Apiston!" An angry ymbryne.

He pulled himself up, incredulous eyes embedded into his skin.

"Why are you two holding hands?!"

Enoch and I looked at each other, cheeks flushing, moving our hands away.

"Because we-um we," the deadriser struggled to come up with an excuse.

And so did I.

"Are you two together?!"

Hugh's mouth remained open, eyebrows arched at the top of his head.

Enoch and I both looked anywhere but the kids, not replying.

"Mr. Apiston, I do believe that it is not your concern whether Miss. Wainwright and Mr. O' Connor are 'together'. So close that mouth of yours before any bees escape," Miss. Peregrine scolded.

The rest of the meal was silent.

Yet when it came to an end, and when everyone resided to the living room, there was anything but silence.

Everyone piled into their spots around the room, scattered bits of gossip flowing from everywhere.

"Ladies and gentleman!" Hugh yelled, sliding into the room like some showman, "I am pleased to announce that I, detective love master Hugh Apiston, have discovered the secret relationship between two certain peculiars!"

"Shut up," Enoch growled. I sat on the sofa, and he sat on the floor in front of my legs. A real gentleman, allowing me to have the seat.

"Hugh, if you're gonna talk about us, I might as well talk about you and Fiona then," I smirked.

The boys mouth instantly shut, skin burning a light red as he glared at me and the children 'oohed'.

To my luck, it seemed that Fiona was helping Miss. Peregrine with the dishes.