Chapter 36: Hjerte

Hjerte - Danish for Heart
_____________________________

1 year later.

If you couldn't tell by now, time seemed to be, quite literally, flying.

Days passed by in blurs, weeks practically chased after months, until a whole year strolled through.

Because nothing really happened.

And if you really want to listen to repetition and dull times you're not in the right place.

The kids all stayed the same age, interested in the same things, reading the same books and playing the same games.

Hugh and Fiona were officially official, relationship signed on a contract, hung above their heads. They were a quiet couple; small whispers in the ear, soft kisses, stifled laughs.

Enoch and Ashlyn were as happy as ever. Their honeymoon phase seemed to drag on all the time. They hadn't argued at all, really. No fights. Just love, tracing their footsteps. And Enoch even abandoned his beloved reputation because he knew the girl would never hurt him. They followed each other constantly, wrapping themselves around the other person, kisses on every patch of open skin.
They were truly happy.

However, a year later was when things started to well and truly fall apart for Emma Bloom.

Abraham Portman had stopped writing. Stopped all source of contact, really.

She wrote to him. Practically daily. "Feeling caged without you. Won't you write? I worry so. Kisses, Emma." She had every right to feel that something had happened to the boy.

But that wasn't the case.

For she finally received a letter that would be the last letter.

A crumpled piece of paper, words written, erased, and then rewritten. A letter with only 3 words that carried the meaning of a whole book.

"This is why."

And with it a photo of Abe holding a baby girl.

His baby girl.

And the pyrokinetic was devastated.

Defeated.

To the point where she lost hope.

To the point where she was done.

And so she didn't tell anyone about the letter.

She wouldn't for a long time.

She simply glued on that smile.

And lived her monotone life, alone.

-----

"Check mate," Horace beamed, moving the final piece that declared his victory... again... third game in a row.

"I'm so done!" I lifted my hands in the air as Enoch wrapped his around my waist, a protective gesture, preventing me from falling, yet completely natural, as if instinct.

Enoch and I versus Horace Somnusson playing chess... Enoch and I sharing a chair, Horace Somnusson emerging as champion.

"How the hell do you always win? You bastard, thinking 50 steps ahead," Enoch grumbled, shaking his head.

"It's called intelligence," Hugh walked behind us, ruffling the deadrisers curls and winking at him.

-----

"Darlin'?" I spoke softly, caressing Enoch's cheek. His head was propped up against the bark of our tree, eyes closed.

He hummed in reply, lips pursed together.

"D'you know how glad I am that you dropped the whole 'reputation' act?"

For he was clad in merely a white t-shirt. A sight nobody had ever seen.

No sweater, no scowl.

"What do you mean? I'm still grumpy."

"Yeah, but, now people get to see the real Enoch."

"Ash, this isn't a movie, ok? Stop with the cheesy self-development quotes."

I laughed, 

as we sat against our tree.

-----

He lay on my bed, dark hair resting against a light violet pillow.

I lay next to him, sprawling half my body on top of his, head resting on his chest, rising and dropping with every breath.

His arm snaked around my waist, nose inhaling the soft scent of my hair.

And peace.

This was practically everyday.

Just soaking up the others presence.

Oh so much love.

And then pain.

A burning sensation.

Stinging it's way into the middle of my heart.

Burning the surface.

I hissed and Enoch's eyebrows raised as he squeezed me tighter. 

"You alright?"

"Yeah, my heart, just, kind of burns. I'm not sure."

"This happened before?" He rubbed a crease in his forehead, playing with my hair with his other hand.

"It's been happening a lot, recently," I replied, "Look, don't worry about it. It's probably nothing. Maybe just getting a bit sick."

He nodded but his eyebrows remained glued together, worry embracing him.

"Look," I pointed out the large window at the afternoon sky, soft clouds floating away, "that cloud right there. Looks like a heart."

He squinted against the sunlight but chuckled, "you always were a dreamer... My dreamer."

"Dreamers together," I smiled, kissing his nose.

"Forever."

Spoiler: It wasn't forever.

_____________________________
A/N:
Thank you so much for reading this chapter!
Yes, we are slowly approaching the end my friends :(
Thank you all so so sO much for 30k, it's absolutely incredible ily all sm
Any feedback is appreciated xxx