Chapter 2

'I know you're an army doctor and you've been invalided home from Afghanistan. You have a son, no older than 10. I know you've got a brother who's worried about you, but you won't go to him for help because you don't approve of him-possibly because he's an alcoholic, more likely because he recently walked out on his wife. And I know that your therapist thinks your limp's psychosomatic, quite correctly I'm afraid. That's enough to be going on with, don't you think?'

The words ran though his mind as he looked up at the building before him. He wondered how someone could possibly know that much about him. They'd only known eachother for about 5 minutes.... Except the part about Harry. He thought she was a man... I John thought he should mention that to him. Just to see his reaction.

John pulled himself out of the Taxi and went round back to assist the Taxi driver with their luggage.

'The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221b Baker Street. Afternoon.'

George looked out through the taxi window at the buildings opposite. They didn't look like what he had been living in with his father, he thought to himself.

The street was a lot busier than the one outside their house. He smiled a little. Maybe moving won't be that bad. He dragged himself out of the taxi and stood by the door, looking up to see the black door and the digits '221b' staring at him in the face.

From the corner if his eye he could see a face. He turned to see the costumers of the cafe beside it smiling at him. John had already seen them and thanking them for their friendly comments on his only son.

George smiled at them before turning his attention to the doors. He didn't know what to expect. It was the longest he'd been away from home. Or whatever home that was.

"Sherlock Holmes" He whispered to himself. He remembered the excited account of his first few minutes of knowing him. To John he sounded interesting enough to get out of his own house and move in with him. George found it quite funny and found himself laughing at his dad for his excitement.

"What are you laughing at?"

George stopped and turned to see his father smiling down at him from the back of the taxi. In his free hand was the small suitcase that he had packed especially for George.

The taxi driver had finished long ago and had only been chatting with John and the other costumers about John and George's 'dramatic move'. The driver went forward and gestured for George to move so he could shut the door. George quickly got out of the way to his suitcase with his father and the driver shut the door. He went into his car, bidding farewell to John, son and all before heading off.

John went to knock on the large black door which was answered by a smaller old woman.

"Hello dear, are you Sherlock's new room mate?" She began, with a friendly smile, which brought off any tension either John or George had felt.

"Er- Yes, yes. John Watson," John introduced himself, bringing out his hand for the older woman to shake. "And this is my son. George Watson."

George looked up at her with a big smile on his face. He wasn't sure what to do so he copied his father and held out his hand high for the woman. She laughed at his effort to be friendly and shook his small hand too. "Aw, isn't that sweet. My name is Mrs Hudson" she smiled at them both. Introductions over and Mrs Hudson escorted them upstairs to Sherlock's door. She helped them with their suitcases and left.

John knocked at the door. There was a moment of silence for which was broken the door being answered by a small boy. He looked around the same age as George but was slightly taller. He had black hair and blue eyes and wore a white shirt with a sweater-vest and black trousers and shoes to match. This was contrast to George's blue checkered shirt and brown jumper with grey trousers and black shoes. This made George feel a little embarrassed that he didn't dress up for the occasion. Not that he thought he had to. "You can come in" sad the little boy, holding the open for them to come though with their things. The boy shut the door and went to call who John and George figured to be Sherlock.

A tall man came through the kitchen to the small living room space. "John and George Watson!" He said with slight amusement. "Looks like you found your way alright. By the way this is my son, Joshua Holmes" Joshua smiled at John and waved at George who hesitantly waved back. "Nice, now that we all know each other, John! May I have a word" John went after Sherlock to the kitchen, leaving the boys with eachother in the living room...