HBV 1: Start of Something

"Yes we will. Of course, please take care too. Sofia and I will visit you there soon. Good bye, I love you too, Kristin and Clark."

As I bid my goodbye, I heard the sound of giggles on the other line. I am glad that they're finally happy without any doubts. They deserve that, after every pain that they went through.

I walked away from the veranda where I made a call with some important people in my life. What a nice start for a long day.

Habang nag lalakad pabalik sa aking opisina, hindi ko lubos maisip na nakahanap kami ni Sofia ng panibagong pamilya sa katauhan ni Kristin at Clark.

I am indeed blessed having them around.

Nang marating ang harapan ng pinto ay dumiretso na ako at hindi na nag abalang kumatok sa aking sariling opisina.

Naabutan ko do'n ang aking sekretarya na sinisimulan nang ligpitin ang mga kalat na naiwan gawa ng proposals para sa restaurant.

Tumulong na rin ako sa pag-aayos ko aking desk habang sinasabi rin sa akin ni Alex, ang aking sekretarya ang mga kailangan pang paghandaan para sa araw na ito.

I am exhausted, I need to check all my restaurants alone at once since Kristin isn't here right now to help me sort things out. But it's okay, I understand that she needed some rest after all.

"Sir, may meeting po kayo at exactly one pm with the restaurant managers in different branches at the hall." Alex said the schedule while looking at a tab.

"Okay, is that all?" Abala pa rin ako sa aking ginagawa habang kinakausap ko siya. Isinabay ko rin sa aking ginagawa ang pagbabasa ng proposal na nahuli ng dating.

As a chef in the kitchen, my multi-tasking skill really improved throughout the years and I must say that I'm thankful because it helps me do more tasks in a short or given period of time.

"Yes, sir. I'll call you five minutes before one for you to get going."

"Okay, Alex. Thank you."

A moment of silence came at nagtulungan muli kami ng aking sekretarya sa pag-aayos ng aking gamit.

I can say that we're being efficient with our task but not until another topic was brought to my attention.

"Ah sir? I have another thing to say. A relative of yours would want to speak with you. She's been waiting on the lobby since eight am."

Tumigil ako sa aking ginagawa at humarap sa aking sekretarya.

Alex may have noticed that my forehead creased while visible 'who are you talking about' expression is written on my face.

"According to our security personnel sir, she had been waiting outside since six-thirty am." He continued explaining.

Yes, my secretary is a he. Ayaw ko nang maulit pa ang nangyari noon noong babae ang kinuha kong sekretarya.

She was so persistent in making a move to me that I got rid of her because she was not doing her job well. A secretary's work is far different from flirting. Professionalism and personal emotions are to be separated.

That is the number one rule.

But I got curious, sino namang maghihintay ng gano'n katagal para lang maka-usap lang ako?

"She? I don't remember a relative of mine making an appointment with me." I said using a matter of fact tone.

"But sir, she showed some official identification cards to show us that you both are related in some ways." Alex then again said but confusion is already starting to dawn on his face.

So to cut the chase, I asked for the visitor's name dahil sa pagkakaalam ko ay nasa Baguio City at States ang karamihan sa aking mga kamag-anak.

He once again tapped something on his tab and showed me a profile of a very familiar lady.

"Her identification card says, Joanna Fernandez Villamor."

As if on cue, I froze upon hearing her name.

Can it be?

"Are you sure?" I calmly asked. Hindi ako p'wedeng gumawa kaagad ng aksyon. I need an assurance that it's really her.

Mahirap muling umasa ng dahil lang sa maling akala. I've been there, done that and it was the most heartbreaking thing that came in my way. I am not repeating the same mistakes.

I asked Alex to connect the CCTV footage of the lobby to my laptop.

I needed to be sure, I c-can't still accept the possibility that she's here. Alex took his time while I am here lost with my thoughts about the possibilities that might happen.

What if...

"Sir, connected na po ang device." As puzzled as I am, he didn't bother to ask question as to why did I asked him to make the connection.

Different scenarious slowly crept in to my mind and with trembling hands, I went near the table to get a closer view of the person we're talking about.

It took me awhile to press the right keys for a clearer footage of the lobby. Standing near the doorway of the lobby is a lady wearing a black hoodie.

What do we have here? I am now looking at her in flesh and not just in photographs.

Kahit hindi ko siya direktang nakikita, alam kong siya 'yun. She may have lost some pounds and her hair might have got shorter but I know it's her.

I am more than shocked. Questions came rushing into my head and it feels like it's gonna explode if I didn't have the right answers.

With a lot of questions and baffling thoughts, I managed to make a quick decision. I turned my gaze towards Alex who's been eyeing me with confusion running through his face.

"Send her in." I commanded, my voice was devoid from any emotion.

My secretary quickly nodded his head and politely excused himself to call the lady that had been missing in action for years.

She's finally here. After seven years of leaving without any explanation, my wife finally decided to show herself once again.

Should I be glad?

VOTE | COMMENT | FOLLOW