Ch. 4 - My chosen family

Hey, hope you all enjoy . It's kind of a short chapter but you'll finally get see a more relaxed side of Violet here! Thanks for reading!

****

Violet

"I'M HOME !", Eleanor yells, announcing her arrival as she closes the front door to her family's moderate two-story Victorian home. El's house is an older home, set up top a small hill. Large and inviting, painted a comfortable blue hue with worn out brick stairs that lead to the large front porch. It's one of my favorite parts of the house. We used to always spend our summers out here when we were kids, rolling down the hill, climbing haphazardly up the brick steps and doing it all over again. And if we weren't in the front yard, we were out back, swimming in her pool until are limbs grew tired and our fingers and toes wrinkled like prunes.

I love being here. I can breathe here. My home—almost.

When we get inside, the distinct smell of spices, somehow both sweet and savory, hit us almost instantly. But before we can even address that, we see Olive gliding down the hall, running towards us. Cries of joy erupting out of her as she crashes to my feet, jumping in excitement. I smile instantly, scooping her up in my arms. My mood already improving.

Eleanor sighs in discontent, reaching over to pet Olive, "Just once I wish she came to me first".

I laugh, "Oh please. I'm her mother. I birthed her." I squeeze her closer to me, letting her lick my face a bit.

El walks away, heading for the kitchen, "No you didn't!"

We follow, as I quickly toss my backpack to the side, "How dare you!? She doesn't know that!", I gasp dramatically, covering Olive's ears, keeping up with the ruse just to irritate Eli some more. It's my favorite thing to do.

"You're annoying, you know that?" El responds, glaring at me, taking a seat on the kitchen island. I just laugh, still holding Olive comfortably in my arms.

"Who's annoying?" Robs, Eli's dad walks into the kitchen, smoothing out his grey t-shirt, quickly putting on his signature apron that says 'trophy husband'. Layla, Eli's mom, right behind him, fixing her honey blonde hair, brushing it back into a low pony. I scrutinize them in suspicion. Watching as they subtly try to control their heavy breathing. I glance at the pasta sauce simmering on the stove top, looking to be almost done. Then back at them.

Why would Robs take off his apron if he was still cooking? He never takes it off when he's cooking. He hates making a mess. I glance back at El but she's just making baby noises at Olive, completely oblivious.

Eli and I actually got that apron for him a couple birthdays ago as a joke since he's always been more of the stay at home parent as opposed to Layla, who's basically the same equivalent as Meredith Grey, being a surgeon and saving lives. And so she's not home a lot. But Robs loved it either way, and he's been wearing it ever since.

"No one", I respond, looking back and forth at Robs and Layla in suspicion. Were they doing what I think they were doing? I cringe.

Robs clears his throat, sharing a look with Layla, "Alright, well if you ladies don't mind, I'd like to finish dinner so get out of my kitchen". He shoos us away, waving a dish towel at us.

And for once, I listen and choose to drop it. Because if they were doing what I think they were doing then that knowledge alone has scarred me enough. "Ok Layla, come on. We wouldn't want you distracting Robs anymore". I wiggle my brows at her, smirking.

Layla's face immediately flushes, her blue eyes glaring at me. "Go Violet", she orders, pointing to the living room, following behind me.

I cackle. I knew it. El just looks at us in confusion, completely at a loss, but otherwise follows us to the living room, swiping Olive from my arms.