9

I am so sorry for another long awaited update! Please enjoy this chapter.

The chill in the early morning air wormed it's way through Elvira's skimpy dress and bit eagerly at her bones.

How had Dronn located her? Who did he belong to? Where did he come from? Many questions remained unanswered as they swam around her head.

She couldn't return back to her apartment with that vile creature lurking around. If she went home now he could follow her and possibly put her friends in danger. There was no way she would take that risk.

Elvira pulled out her phone and scrolled through her contacts until she found Lydia's number. Her finger hovered over the name as she contemplated what she would tell her friend. Either way someone needed to feed Salem if she wasn't going home tonight.

After six rings Lydia answered.
"Ell? What are you doing calling at three in the morning?" She answered groggily.

"I'm sorry if I woke you Lyd but I'm not going to be able to make it home tonight. Ryan will be home though with some guy."

"Okay, are you alright?" Although Lydia sounded tired her voice was laced with concern.

"Yeah I will be, I'm gonna go and visit an old friend. I'll be home tomorrow. Can you feed Salem for me please before you go to sleep?"

"Sure. You're lucky me and Grant are still awake. We've been watching horror movies all night." A faint yawn travelled through the phone before Lydia said bye.

Elvira put her phone away and sighed before teleporting away into the night to Long Island.

• • •

The moon illuminated the dark sea below as the waves rippled back and forth rhythmically. Elvira stumbled over the pebbles as she walked towards the base of the lighthouse in her platforms.

Laverne was the person she needed to see and who could provide her with the answers she so desperately wanted to know.

She took a deep breath and knocked on the cold metal door. It reverberated beneath her knuckles with each rap. As she stood waiting in the cold her teeth began to chatter, the salty sea air stinging her legs. Thank fully she didn't have to wait long though as the door squeaked open and a tall figure stood in the darkness holding a flash light.

"Welcome Elvira." Laverne spoke, bowing before her.

"Hey. I hope you don't mind me stopping by for a bit? I need your help." She said with a faint smile.

"Of course I don't. Come inside. I would say that you'll catch your death if you stand outside any longer but that would be a mediocre joke." He managed a slight chuckle as he ushered her inside the dank stairwell.

The spiral staircase grew darker and narrower the higher up they ascended when finally a glimpse of light from his living room filtered through the gloom.

She had only been inside his abode once, around the time that they first met. He showed her around the area and then invited her back for a coffee. But Elvira fancied something stronger so they settled for a brandy.

This time was not much different. After leading her into his living area he gestured her to a plush black couch where she sat as he poured her a glass of the blood she had stolen earlier.

Set's of black and white photographs adorned the bleak walls and the furniture was minimal. An ancient looking wooden grandfather clock stood tall in the corner beside a large bookcase.

Laverne's cloak brushed against her hand as he shuffled past to join her.

"Here." He said as he handed her the glass of crimson liquid before he sat down. "How may I be of assistance?"

She thanked him for the drink, took a long swig and began her endless questions.

"Tonight I came across someone, or rather something. He was a vampire but not like us. I can't remember the name."

Laverne furrowed his eyebrows.
"He told you of his kind? Well let's see, you have the Acterbys, Romarnies, Skylites and Icavines amongst others but they are much less common these days."

"That's it! He said he was an Icavine. Real creepy guy."

"Really? How odd." He pulled a face of confusion.

"Yeah, his name was Dronn."

Laverne paused as if in thought.
"That name rings a bell. And not in a good way either." He stood up and strode towards the bookcase with motive.

He browsed through the numerous books, fingering the spines as he moved along the columns of dust.

"Ah! Here it is." He pulled out a large dark red hardback from the shelf and blew onto the cover.

"What is it?" Elvira queried as he sat back down beside her and passed her the book. It felt heavy in her hands.

"Of Nobles and Lowbornes. It was published in 1860. Inside is a list of types of fellow vampires, including Incavines." He pointed out before taking a sip of his own bloody cocktail.

The material of the book was smooth but almost soft to the touch. Golden spirals spelt out the title and in the centre was a symbol of a raven on a branch with a crown on it's head.

When Elvira opened the first page she was greeted instantly with a cloud of dust. She coughed involuntarily and cleared her throat.

As she scanned through the book Laverne pottered around the room doing who knows what. Every now and then he would stand behind her and read over her shoulder.

The list of vampires was huge. Elvira had no idea there were this many types of vampires in the world, but Laverne was quick to point out that a quarter of them were probably extinct by now. "What with the culture of the modern day life." He had said dramatically as he poured another glass for her.

Elvira and Laverne were Syrenelles. She had met a few of her kind before and a couple of Acterbys but she tried to steer clear of other vampires. Usually it meant trouble if different types of vampires clashed for their meals or lovers.

Elvira turned the yellowing pages until she found the chapter on Icavines. She decided to read the first paragraph aloud.

"Icavines are an ancient species of vampires that first came about during the 1700s. Most Icavines are of high nobility and standing. It is known that the power they herald could mean the end for other types of vampires. They use their knowledge and strength to bend human beings to their own will by promising them immortality and power and they will not stop until they have obtained what they wish. For several centuries they have battled in wars against the Romarnies and most importantly Syrenelles."
Elvira stopped reading and stared at Laverne who looked back bleakly.

"Continue."

"Icavines are a gluttonous race who adore attention and control over others." Elvira paused as a thought popped into her head.

"The Icavine I met mentioned that a detective named Andrew Miller would visit me tomorrow. Do you think Dronn has control over him?" She looked at Laverne with wide eyes.

"Well, as stated in the book that could be the case. Icavines are a strong species who can bend anyone to their own selfish ways by the sounds of things. Why would the detective be after you anyway?"

"I killed a guy and it's been announced on the news..." Elvira trailed off.

"Elvira. You know how I have warned you before about being caught. We cannot have the world know about us!" He stood up unexpectedly and strode over to the circular window that overlooked the sea below.

"Not only do you have a human detective after you but now an Icavine! Elvira you must be more careful." He turned back and faced her grimly.

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter!