Chapter Nine

WYATT

Veronica clung onto me like she was clinging for dear life. I held her as her whole body shook while she cried. This vulnerable side of her was new to me. I had only seen the fierce and fearless Veronica Cordova. It took me quite awhile to digest that this woman in my arms was the same daredevil who'd pull off fearless stunts before. 

"Come on, I'll take you home. It'll be okay. Walang pwedeng manakit sa'yo hangga't nandito ako." I promised her.

Lalong humigpit ang yakap niya sa akin. A sense of protectiveness toward her washed over me. I never thought she could be this fragile. I felt like I had a porcelain doll in my arms and I was afraid to break her.

Binigyan ko ng isang libong piso ang tinderang tumulong sa kanya. The vendor send it was too much and wanted to give it back to her but I insisted. She deserved that because she made sure this warrioress was safe. I took the shaking Veronica to my car, opening the door for her and gently guiding her in. Then I went to the driver's side and drove off.

It was a quiet drive back to Sybarite. I pulled up in front of the door to the house and my chauffeur stood there, waiting on us. I got out of my car and raced to the passenger's seat before anyone could open the door for Veronica. I opened the door for her and offered my hand out to her to which she took.

The ferocious glimmer in her eyes were gone and her face looked softer that usual. A woman of warmth and emotion rather than the warrioress I was used to seeing. She walked in with her arms around mine.

"Boss, saan ka gali-" Nakangiting sumalubong sa amin si Donny. Then his eyes lowered to my arm, the one where she was holding onto. He pressed his lips together as if it would ruin the moment. 

"Do you want to rest? Ihahatid na kita sa kwarto mo." I asked her as we walked in.

"No..." She shook her head, lalong humigpit ang hawak niya sa braso ko. "Don't leave me."

I stopped and shifted to face her. "Hey, it's okay. You're safe here."

"I... I was so scared, Wyatt. Akala ko sasaksakin niya talaga ako. I felt the tip of the knife poking against me." Her eyes began to water again. 

I cupped her small face, her wide doll-like eyes looking back at me. I wouldn't lie, they were enchanting. I couldn't help imagining that pretty innocent face on my magazine. It would be something new. Her beauty was refreshing and very distinct, something you don't see in covers, billboards, and TV a lot. Not even movie stars could be this alluring and mystifying at the same time. Her beauty was in a league of its own. 

"It'll be okay. Ipinapangako ko sa'yo walang makakapanakit sa'yo hangga't nandito ako." I carefully said. 

The anxiousness in her face disappeared. It softened back up again. It felt quite good to have Veronica find comfort and trust in my words. Never in my wildest dream did I think this would happen. 

"Now, tell me, what will it take for me to make you feel better?" I asked.

"Well, when I don't feel okay Mama and I would sit on a movie." She quietly said, biting her bottom lip. I suddenly remembered kissing those lips at a dark, smelly alley. Despite the place we were at at that time, I could distinctly recall how soft those lips were. It was the softest I'd ever kissed and I'd kissed a couple of dozen women in the past.

I smiled. "Okay, we'll watch a movie."

She cracked a sweet smile, too. Wow! This was the first time Veronica had ever smiled to me. A real, genuine one. Does this make us friends now? 

We went to the theater room. The TV took up the whole wall on the front and there were 5 rows of red lazy boy recliner chairs, each row had 8 seats. From the door a stair led down, cutting in the middle of the row of seats and acting as an aisle. I had it done to make it look like a real cinema would, a luxurious one. I had her pick a movie for us and she slowly loosened up. She happened to pick a romance movie. I had never sat down to a cheesy romantic movie with a woman before, I could never stand it. But here I was bending backwards to this warrioress' every whim.