September

Chapter 3- September

9/1/94

I'm on the Hogwarts Express, slightly bored. It's still raining heavily, like it was when we arrived at King's Cross station using three muggle taxis. I read a bit, to keep myself busy, but I don't think I read enough. Seamus, Dean, and Neville joined our compartment about thirty minutes ago, conversing about Quidditch ever since. I think I'll read the chapter about Summoning Charms in the Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4.

9/2/94

The feast last night was magnificent, as always. It makes me wonder, what do they use to make the food appear like this? What sort of incantation is capable of magic of this kind? I was curious, and luckily, the answer arose during dinner, when Nearly Headless Nick was telling us about Peeves in the kitchen. He had said that house-elves worked in the kitchen, as well as cleaning the commonrooms. House-elves? Then, I asked Nick if they get paid, or receive holidays. He replied, telling me that they don't want that, to which I immediately pushed away my plate of food. Ron kept telling me how silly I was, and that starving myself wouldn't get help them get paid. But I couldn't sit there and eat one more bite of food that had been a result of slave labor, because that's what it was. Even when the deserts arrived, I refused. House-elves shouldn't be treated like this; it's cruel. Whoever came up with this, is truly unkind and evil, which now that I think about it, is probably someone from the Malfoy family. I should come up with a club to help enslaved house-elves. But first, I'll go to the library and get the facts.

9/4/94

It's Thursday night and I'm alone in the girl's dormitory. Right after lunch, we had our first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson. It was horrible, the way Professor Moody just used those spiders...... There's a reason those curses are Unforgivable. Anyway, I've been researching house-elves and their enslavement ever since I arrived, and earlier tonight I shared some of it with Ron and Harry. I came up with a club named, 'S.P.E.W.'. It stands for the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare. Ron tried to change my mind. He seems to think it's just a joke, but I'm serious. Someone has to change this; I suppose I'm the only one willing. Now, that I've started the campaign, it will be easier to gain members.