February

2/24/95

An odd experience just occurred. It's several hours after the Second Task ended, but somehow I don't remember it starting. The last thing I remember is taking a drink with Ron, Cho, and a young obviously half-veela girl in McGonagall's office. After that, everything went dark, as if I was in a dream. I could hardly think properly, nor could I talk. I felt helpless and vulnerable; thank goodness Ron was there with me. I knew that whatever was going on, if we were in any real danger at all, that he would at least try and save me. I had assumed that we were in no real danger, but wasn't completely sure with all the unusual events that had happened this past year at Hogwarts. Let me tell you about last night. Harry, Ron, and I were practically in the library all day, searching for something to enable Harry to breathe underwater for the Second Task. A spell, a plant, an object; anything. We were desperate, and time was running out. After several hours of reading, (Ron spent some of those several sleeping), Professor Moody approached us with a message. Ron and I were requested to see Professor McGonagall. Anxiously, we left Harry alone, hoping that soon, very soon, he would come across something helpful. The next thing I know, I am bobbing in the freezing cold water of the Black Lake. Viktor Krum is right beside me, swimming perfectly towards a floating platform. I follow, my breathing irregular, a bit confused. 'How did I get here?' part of my mind asks. The other half responds, 'Never mind that. You can ask questions later. Right now you need to reach the platform. There's nice, warm towels over there if I had to guess. That's what you want, isn't it?' I shake my head, agreeing with myself wholeheartedly. I swam faster, and soon enough, I had reached the platform. Immediately, I was given a wonderful towel from Madam Pomfrey. I gratefully thanked her, then focused my attention on my surroundings. Cho and Cedric talked not too far away, and Fleur, who looked as though she was about to cry, stood by Madam Maxime. My mind, processing this new information, realized that Harry was the only champion that had not yet returned. Looking around frantically, I also realized that Ron was nowhere to be seen either. Thoughts began to fill my stressful conscious: 'Where are they? Are they ok? Did they get attacked? Did they drown?' My heart began to beat faster and faster as the seconds passed by.

Seconds later, Harry, Ron, and the young veela girl from the night before appeared, splashing wildly amongst the water's surface. Fleur ran forward and gestured to the little girl. I called Ron's and Harry's name loudly, though I'm pretty sure they didn't hear me, due to the loud applause that had begun the second the three had appeared. I breathed in a sigh of relief, knowing that they were safe. Madam Pomfrey wasted no time in dragging Harry towards the other champions and their captives. Harry and I talked for a minute or two before Fleur came over. She kissed Harry twice on the cheeks before turning to Ron, who looked very hopeful, and did the same to him. My nostrils flared, similarly to Professor McGonagall's when she catches someone sneaking out after hours, and my breathing very heavy. I felt myself becoming angry, for some odd reason I couldn't explain. Luckily, to spare me from doing something that I would most likely regret later, the scores were announced. Harry and Cedric are now tied for first place, Viktor second, and Fleur third. Much yelling and screaming of celebration occurred. Viktor didn't seem to happy for some reason; right after they announced Harry's score, he tried to talk to me, but I was too busy celebrating. Joyfully, Ron, Harry, and I walked back to the castle, awaiting once more another party in the common room, which is exactly what we got.