Chapter Two

Dinner was amazing like always, fresh dinner rolls, roast beef lathered in thick gravy, potatoes roasted with garlic and rosemary. I had to restrain myself a little. The meal would have been perfect if Aunt Lucille and Daniel had managed to make it home. No such luck of course. Grandfather blamed the snow storm brewing outside; he would shake his cane and would talk about how they were probably trapped at the train station.

Eventually, the staff cleared away the plates as we retired to the Parlour. The parlour was painted a beautiful shade of robin egg blue, with gold trim everywhere. Fancy Victorian style chairs smattered around the room, near the windows and fireplace. A large oak Coffee table sat before the fireplace with a silver tray on top. The tray contained several china teacups, and a pot of tea. The fireplace was lit and full of logs that warmed the room. Aunt Victoria and Aunt Evelyn were talking to Grandfather about what was happening in Texas, who was the bee's knee and who wasn't

"So Mae Ann actually wore slacks to the luncheon," Aunt Eleanor said "Slacks! I mean she was the talk of the town, and not in a flattering way. I Mean how trashy do you have to be, I personally couldn't believe that her husband let her where those out of the house. And her poor daughters, having a mother like that, good luck finding a respectable man."

The doorbell rang, that wonderful shrill sound echoing within the house. It was like god had sent an angel to stop Aunt Eleanor's speech. I excused myself from the conversation, and walked to the front door opening it.

In the nighttimes, air stood my Aunt Lucille. Aunt Lucille had gained the best qualities from my grandparents. She was tall like my Aunt Victoria but had well rounded features. Her eyes carried the same warm glows as grandfathers. Her skin had a healthy glow to it, and her hair was not a stark blonde or a sickly back but a rich chestnut color.

"Aunt Lucille" I squealed, jumping into her open arms, she hugged me back, the familiar smell of Fresh earth and exotic spices clung to her coat enveloping me in a cocoon of nostalgia "Good to see you too my Flower" She said, pulling back to look me up and down "Look how beautiful you've gotten since I last saw you, absolutely radiant"

"I've missed you," I said.

"As I have missed you"

"Lucille" Grandfather said walking out of the parlour "You're late"

"Sorry father," Lucille said, walking over to grandfather and giving him a hug as well "But the weather was atrocious, simply dreadful. Trains were stalled; I had to pay a man 20 dollars for his seat."

"So I heard Father found you in Africa this time" Aunt Victoria said, also walking out of the parlour with Aunt Eleanor waddling beside her.

"Egypt to be exact" Aunt Lucille said "beautiful country, Wonderful people"

"I've heard that it's far too hot and sandy," Aunt Eleanor said

"Oh phish posh" Aunt Lucille waved that notion away "You can't believe everything those socialites tell you"

Aunt Eleanor narrowed her eyes at that comment before giving a large Cheshire smile. "You didn't happen to see Daniel at the train station did you sister"

"About that" Aunt Lucille said, Opening the door wider.

I could see my brother, his blonde hair vibrant in the dark winter night. He was struggling to carry both his and Lucille bags. I heard my grandfather bark at a nearby servant to go out and help him. It had been nearly a year since I had last seen my brother, he was a little taller. His jaw line had sharpened a bit. He wore one of those suits, the kind my dorm mates fawned over and his blonde hair was slicked back.