Chapter Four

I tried to keep my steps light and airy, as if I was walking on a cloud or a frozen lake in the spring. I kept my head held high, as I walked towards the ballroom. Most of guests had arrived; a few were milling about in the halls or having a celebratory drink in Grandfathers office.

I could hear the music from the ballroom pounding through the floorboards. It was waltz music, Grandfathers favourite of course. The ballroom itself was a pristine white colour with billowy white curtains on every window. A grand crystal chandelier hung in the middle of the ceiling lit with over a hundred candles that gave the room a soft yellow glow.

Men in their suits and ties and woman in their finest evening wear were dancing in the middle of the room. They looked like swans swimming on a lake in summer. Anybody who wasn't dancing was near the sides of the room, by the punchbowl sipping a cool beverage out of crystal glasses, or by the window grabbing some cool winter air.

I saw Aunt Lucille dancing with an older gentleman. My other two aunts were huddled in a corner gossiping with some women. Daniel was talking to a group of men a few years his senior. My brother said something that made all the men laugh. One of them Patted Daniel on the back while wiping a tear from his eye.

As I entered I saw several people turn to look at me. Their eyes widened with every step I took. Be confident, I thought, hold your head high. A couple of boys whispers something to one another and a group of girls eyes narrowed at me. I gripped the pendant once more, for good luck.

Eventually, a young boy, maybe a year or two older than me, approached me. He was a head taller than me, slightly on the gangly side. But he had a boyish charm to him with his ruffled red hair and dimples on his cheek. He gave me a bow and in return, I gave a curtsy.

The music was slowing down meaning the next waltz was about to begin "would you like to dance... with me, perhaps" The boys said, flashing me a smile.

"I would love to"

He held out his arm for me, which I took as he led us to the dance floor. I put the left arm on his shoulder, while his right hand came to rest between my shoulder blades. His left arm rose to grab my right hand and holding it up. The music began as we began to dance. I personally only knew the basic box step for the waltz, but my partner was far more adept as we glided across the floor. Occasionally he spun me around allowing me to laugh, and when I laughed he laughed. The other people faded away as I allowed myself to get lost in the music. Every now and again I would look into my partner's eyes, those dark dark eyes. For some reason, they would flash gray for a second, and then fade back to black.

The dance ended, my partner bowed to me grabbing my hand and giving it a kiss. Another boy a bit shorter than the first with brown hair asked me for a dance as well. I agreed and soon I was dancing once again. a few more boys after that asked me to dance, and I was flattered by the attention I was receiving. I don't recall there ever being a time when I had gotten this much attention.

Eventually, my feet got sore and my throat felt parched so I excused myself from the blonde haired boy who I had been dancing with and went to grab some punch. the punch was cool and refreshing with a slight tang to it.

"I don't understand why all the boys are flocking to her," A voice from behind me said. "wearing a dress and doing her hair doesn't make her any less of a freak"

I grabbed some more punch so I would be able to listen to this conversation.

"I know," another girl said "I saw her talking to that statue they own. She was acting like it was her boyfriend."

"Probably the closest thing she has ever had to one" Both girls began to laugh as my cheeks glowed red.

I slammed my crystal glass down on the table. Red juice sprang up and stained the white tablecloth. I turned around walking over to the girls. "did anyone ever tell you that it was rude to talk about someone behind their back" I said