Chapter Three

Christmas was somewhat a tense affair but as the week eased on the tension left and was replaced with a frenzy to get this house looking like Jay Gatsby's Mansion. All the Christmas decorations were put away and instead golden and silver baubles were put in their places. Every piece of silver was cleaned and polished and every plate was scrubbed without mercy. The chandeliers were dusted and the candles were all replaced. The carpets were thourghly washed and handpicked roses from Africa were imported to our home.

Daniel somehow got out of helping by insisting he had to head home to New York for the week, promising to be back for the party once all the work was done. So that left me alone with the Aunts. Aunt Lucille was usually home in the evenings but during the day she was out visiting with old friends. She offered to let me join but I declined. It felt much too awkward. So that left me alone with the vultures. Aunt Eleanor and Aunt Victoria took every opportunity they could get to torture me.

"Straighten up Rose" One would say "No man wants a hunch back"
"Smile rose" Another would comment "nobody wants to see a sad sally'

"Try wearing more fashionable clothing" They would both say "then maybe people would want to be around you more often"

I was nearly pulling out my hair.

My only refugee was the library. I could shut the giant mahogany doors and get lost in pride and prejudice. Jane Austen had such a way with words.

The statue still sat in the library, the crate now used as kindling. Grandfather had decided that it would grace our gardens in the spring, but for the time being his home would be in my haven. He was a welcome guest though. I even found myself taking to him sometimes, as strange as it seems. Then again he never whispered behind my back or laughed at my misfortunes.

Sometime I would walk in and talk about what horrors my Aunts had talked about as if we were good old friends "And then she had the audacity to say that I look like a hunchback, can you believe the nerve of her" I laughed

I didn't know why but his eyes had seemed to have gotten softer as the week went on and as I spent more time with him. I grabbed my book from a shelf and dove to the chair closest to him. "Ready to catch up on some Mr Darcy" I giggled opening the book and reading the words.

A short while later I hear Aunt Victoria call out my name and her shoes slap against the wooden floor. I rolled my eyes getting out of my chair and hiding behind a showcase. The door slammed open I could hear Aunt Victoria step inside, see her shoes through the legs of a chair. "She's not in here Eleanor" Victoria yelled.

"Check her room then."

I could hear the door slam shut and Aunt Victoria's footsteps fading into the background. I let out a sigh, standing up and fixing my skirt. I looked to the statue and back to the door and then back to the statue. With a smile, I grabbed my book and went back to reading.

~

The day of the ball came. Most of the preparations were done or could be handled by the staff. Of course, Grandfather didn't agree as he spent the day following around every maid shouting orders.

Aunt Eleanor and Victoria left awhile ago in order to grab their dresses from the city. Before leaving they had come into my room with arms full of makeup and brushes, pearls and diamonds. They kept trying to tell me how to do my hair and makeup, which accessories were popular and which were sophisticated. I eventually managed to push them out, only on the promise that I would take their advice. But once I put on the dress Grandfather bought me, I don't think that any advice would have helped.

The Dress was a dark mint green color. The skirt came to my knees and had 2 large pleats in the front. The sleeves were large and puffy, close to the size of my face. The neckline was straight and no necklace would compliment it. I looked like a bratty toddler.