IV

Scott hovered near the front and watched with a smile as Mitch walked onto the stage. Uncomfortable as he was, excitement was also creeping into Scott as he watched the brown haired man take the microphone and introduce himself.

"I'm Mitch," he said with an utmost charming smile, "and I want to share something I just came up with today."

What? Scott thought. Wasn't he doing that poem by that Christy girl?

He couldn't wonder any longer when Mitch began to speak, his smooth honey voice spilling through the speakers behind him.

"I deserve someone who wants to hold my hand both underneath the dinner table and as he introduces me to everyone.

And they'll say they've heard good things about me, and I'll blush when his sister says, 'he never shuts up about you' and he'll wrap an arm around me, unapologetic.

And he will kiss me like he's run out of words, like I am a long awaited answer to life's grandest, plaguing questions-

Like he just can't get enough.

I deserve someone who wants me.

I deserve someone who will love me out loud." (poem by: SSK)

Their eyes met and Mitch winked, and Scott was sure his heart skipped a beat. Mitch took a bow as the audience clapped, then left the stage and walked over to Scott.

"You changed your poem," Scott said, completely awestruck. "But that was amazing and wow, you were great up there. I loved it."

Mitch laughed breathlessly, grinning up at Scott. "Thank you! Do you want to get a coffee with me to celebrate?"

Maybe he nodded a little too quick, but soon they were both laughing and Mitch was holding Scott's hand, and suddenly the poem felt like a possiblity.

After Scott found his stupid coworker Andy and let him know that he was leaving, to which he recieved a not-so-nice comment, they let the heavy library doors shut behind them and walked out into the night.

It had started to rain sometime during the hour that the poetry slam had been on for, but Mitch didn't seem to mind, and Scott had always enjoyed walking in the rain. He was content.

"You said 'he' in your poem," Scott said as they crossed the street a few minutes later. They'd turned the corner onto Murray and passed Starbucks - much to Scott's surprise. "You said he."

Mitch tilted his head up just enough for their eyes to meet and smiled. "I did."

Below the sounds of cars splashing through puddles and the typical noisy nightlife, Scott's heart was pounding in his ears.

He didn't answer, not really knowing what to say, but he was happy. He was so happy because Mitch was so nice, and he might actually have a chance.

Scott never wanted to stop being this happy.

---

I love the poem I found for this chapter!!

🏳️‍🌈💟