24

_____________________

Alice POV

WARNING: this chapter includes mentions of suicide and an intense hospital scene, please proceed with caution, and feel free to dm me if you have questions about the chapter. Also I am not a doctor or nurse in any way, I apologize if anything I say is stupid or ignorant.

It felt like I was starting over and this was my first day at a new high school. But instead, I'm at the same high school with the same non existent friends. And, thanks to my disappearance, there are ten times the stares.

I was the talk of the town, you don't just vanish for a few weeks then suddenly pop back up again without people noticing.

But if only they knew how much I'd changed. How much I'd been through.

The jean jacket covering my black halter top concealed the gash in my arm, for now. Eventually I'd have to handle it.

The cafeteria was surprisingly empty, I think there was a band field trip or something of the sort. I've never been the type to be involved in clubs or anything like that.

I got my tray and grabbed my lunch. Even the lunch ladies gave me a dirty look.

I sat down in the cafeteria, alone. Girls walked by and whispered, as if I'd done something wrong. They don't even know who I am or what I've done.

People just like to talk. Talk about the misfortunes of others. Talk about anything to keep their own lives interesting. They can't stand the quiet. Noise is their comfort.

In the loudness is where they grow, the real challenge is being in the quiet and learning to hear.

After lunch I shoved my math books into my locker and closed it and headed to my next class. I could hardly remember where they all were so it ended up taking later than usual, causing me to be late.

I stumbled into a classroom full of people while the teacher babbled on, I managed to sneak past him and sit in the back.

"Walsh, if you think I didn't see that then you're mistaken.. but since it's your first day back I will excuse it."

I hinted at a smile, trying not to show much emotion.

I missed him. Poseidon, even with the cure I felt myself longing for him. Was that normal?

What about Fin? I hope he's okay. I wonder if Poseidon went back for him. If he did it was probably to kill him.

I'm still shocked at myself for letting things get so out of hand with Fin.

I doodled on my books and waited until the would bell ring, I couldn't stand to be here. I had to occupy my brain. What's one more day without school?

After the bell rang I gathered my things and bolted out of there and began walking. I had to go to where I'd first met Poseidon.

—————

The waves hit the shore, the same shore where I'd met Fin, and the same sea where I'd met Poseidon.

I cant believe he'd just left me here, he finally got me all to himself and he took me home?

I walked up to the sea and let the waves lap against my feet.

Suddenly I felt a pang in my forearm, the cut in my arm was excruciating, and I fell to the ground. I could see flashbacks.

Streaks of a memory flooding my brain, the cliff, the same cliff that I jumped off to save myself months ago.

My mother stood there, I could see her.

She turned back and looked at me, I was crying.

Her face was blank, empty.

She wore a light blue dress that billowed in the wind.

"I love you Alice," she said as her feet lined up with the edge. I could feel myself crying, sobbing. I was so young.

"Mommy!" I screamed as I held onto the tree, I was so scared to go near the edge. She wasn't phased by how distraught I was.

Her whole body faced me, she inched closer to the edge. I jumped and screamed and yelled for her to stop.

Suddenly, she took one more step, and she was gone. She disappeared off the edge. Gone forever.

And then I returned. Back to the beach, back to reality. It's as if all these blocked memories have come flooding back. The pain in my arm was the worst I'd ever felt. My knees dug deeper into the sand, and then they gave out.

My eyes flickered open, shut, I could feel the grainy sand against my cheek, I could feel my breathing hitch in my throat, I could feel myself growing weaker.

This was it, amphitrite has finally won.

My mother jumped off that cliff, and Poseidon didn't save her.

—————

(OUTSIDER point of view)

"We're losing her fast, heart rate is dropping."

The wheels on the bed screeched down the hallway as nurses and doctors and paramedics surrounded Alice's body as they tried to save her.

"Clear." The doctor announced as they slid the defibrillators together and pressed them against her chest.

Her body jolted up and down.

"She is in cardiac arrest." The doctor stated. "Blood flow is slow and weak, her heart isn't pumping regularly. We have to get it pumping so she can reproduce blood, she's losing it out of that arm, and at an extremely fast pace."

"Heart rate still irregular sir, its still decreasing!" The nurse said.

A woman wrapped Alice's arm with a cord above her wound as tight as she could, the cord squeezing her, she began wrapping the wound causing Alice to whimper in pain.

"Clear!"

The beeping, the doctors nervous breath. The bright light above. The buzzing bed as its pushed quickly down the hallway. Face mask, oxygen. Her arm, blood everywhere.

Clear.

Clear..

Nothing was clear at all.