13 - Lockhaven

The members of the Fellowship slept late into the next morning and then ate a lukewarm breakfast that Wally dumped on the table in each room. It was a new service Wally was field testing which he called "Room Service." No one thought it had much hope of catching on. After breakfast, the nine remaining members of the Fellowship reconvened as a group in the ladies' room to strategize. Everyone seemed to be refreshed and healthy except for Melthiar who was still moving gingerly and struggling to breathe.

Quint and Stormy played dice (which they had stolen back from Oron and Mo) and Sheena occupied herself by braiding Zelda's hair while everyone else game-planned for the day. Even while her hair was being braided, Zelda radiated confidence and full command over the group. She had been cleaned and groomed and once again resembled a princess rather than a wandering minstrel's dog.

"Hopefully everyone enjoyed the rest," Zelda said, "because today we go right back to work. We cannot linger here. We are less than ten days away from the blood moon. Leisure will not be our traveling companion for the rest of our journey."

Everyone felt their will renewed after the successful passage through the mountains. The most dangerous part of their quest was behind them. They choked on their own arrogance.

"Our goal for today is simple: We need supplies. Quint and Stormy, you're on necessities. Food, water, extra clothes. Got it?"

Both nodded and went right back to their game.

"Oron and Mo, you two are in charge of acquiring more difficult-to-obtain supplies. Work any contacts you have in the village. Get us what we need and get it fast. Weapons, horses, another wagon would be great. We need everything by tomorrow morning."

Mo glanced at Oron out of the side of his eye. "Our contacts?"

Oron kicked Mo in the ass. "That's what she said so that's what we're gonna do, mingey."

Melthiar rose and cleared his throat. "An excellent idea. Let's make this stay as short as possible. Everyone make preparations for the provisions and meet the Princess and I back here before sunset."

"Oh, I'll be going out, too," Zelda said. "And Sheena."

"Out?" Melthiar glanced out the window at the sandy streets of Lockhaven. "You mean, out there? I'm afraid I can't allow that Princess."

"And I'm afraid you can't stop me. If this quest has taught me anything it's that I know very little about my own kingdom. Lockhaven is part of that kingdom. If it's a vile place, I mean to experience it in all its vile glory."

"Then I will accompany you—"

"You will remain here and rest. You are injured, Sir Melthiar. The final Red Shirt will accompany me."

The Red Shirt seemed to make a small sound, a groan or a moan or maybe a whimper, but it was gone just as quickly as it appeared so everyone chalked it up to their imagination.

"I'm fine," Melthiar insisted. "You cannot—"

"That's enough! Zelda blurted out. "For the last time, you're not my father. You can't tell me what to do and now neither can he! I am leading this quest and now you are nothing but baggage to be carried."

Everyone fell silent. The dice stopped rolling. Sheena stopped braiding. Melthiar, to his credit, handled the insult with quiet dignity. He bowed slightly, uttered a quiet "m'lady" and gingerly lowered himself back down into his chair.

Zelda rose and checked the tightness of her braid. Perfect.

"Ok then," she said. "Let's get to work."