23 - The Razing of the Avox Nesting Grounds

Night fell with the Fellowship—Zelda included—locked inside the dangling prison. Abyss and Midnight were back in their hammocks. Zelda and Oron had just completed their fifth round of inspecting for weaknesses inside the structure. Mo sat staring at his reflection in the giant mirror.

"It's strange," he said to no one in particular. "I'll neva get used to seeing this face starin' back at me and knowing it's mine. Could you imagine that? Not recognizing your own face? I'll never get over it. I'm a stranger to my own self."

"That's great," Oron said, "but it would be bloody grand if you could be all deep and philosophical outside the bloody cage!"

He kicked at the door, but it didn't budge.

"Sorry I didn't listen to you about these filthy birds," Zelda said. "Although after Lockhaven, your credit wasn't all that great. Still, sorry I didn't listen sooner."

"Yeah, well, betta late than never. At least now you can suffer with the rest of us."

The door to the building opened and two hooded guards entered with Mr. Peanut. The Avox Ambassador held himself differently now that he had dropped his whole diplomat charade. His beak smirked and his eyes narrowed.

"Time for the bad guy monologue then, huh?" Oron asked.

Mr. Peanut shook his head and made a clicking sound with his beak. When he spoke, he addressed Princess Zelda only. "This is not how I wanted this to play out, your highness. Of course, you were always going to be our 'guest' but I wanted your accommodations to be much more luxurious than this. Unfortunately, that will no longer be possible."

Zelda rushed the bars. "You are imprisoning a member of the royal family and hindering a quest to save the King's life! You will burn for this Mr. Peanut!"

"We all have our masters to answer to, Princess. I'm afraid your knowledge of our practice of 'overtaxing' the outer tribes is a bit problematic. Regardless, it's happened. Now we must decide what is to be done about it."

"Maybe just own up to it and let us go," Oron suggested.

The suggestion made Mr. Peanut squawk. "Unlikely. Unfortunately for you, the fate of you and the others is far less complicated than that of the Princess. I don't feel good about any of you surviving your epic quest, especially the disgusting eight-legged freaks!"

Abyss and Midnight hissed and spat at their captors.

"I shall tell all the kingdom what you've done," Zelda said to him. "This is treason! You'll be executed as an enemy to the kingdom!"

The threat fell short of its target. Mr. Peanut seemed to brush it off with a flick of his wing. "I'm afraid not, Princess. You see, a member of your Fellowship will confirm that everything is on the up-and-up and the Avox are nothing but loyal subjects to the crown. He will also confirm that you, Princess, were traumatized during the journey and have no recollection of what really happened. Your account will be passed off as the rantings of a mad woman."

Oron snorted. "If you think one of us is going to back the tripe you spin you're nuttier than squirrel shit."

"Your assistance is unnecessary. We already have a man ready, willing, and able to support our claims."

One of the hooded guards stepped forward and dehooded. Oron recognized the rat-like face and beady eyes immediately. Frederick adjusted his spectacles and gave Oron a big, toothy grin.

"Good to see my old traveling companions," he said. "Miss me?"

Oron lept toward the bars and tried to choke Frederick, but the royal architect was well outside his reach. Mr. Peanut and Frederick laughed at his vain attempts.