Chapter One

He's standing by his locker, doing everything in his power for me not to notice him, but the glances he casts my way to watch out kind of reveals him. He does this almost every day when we're at our lockers simultaneously. Usually I go over to tease him a little just to have some fun. My friends think it's fun too. I nudge my best friend, Jason, and nod towards our favorite victim hiding in the corner of the picture. Jason smirks at me, knowing my intentions, and follows me when I make my move.

"Well, well," I say and watch the tiny guy in front of me stiffen. Then he turns around to glare at me. He and everyone else knows how much it gets on my nerves when people go against me. No one really dares to because they know they can't defend themselves against me. I am the quarterback of the school's football team and also the captain. No one goes against me.

But Cory does.

"Are we hiding again?" I ask him sweetly. "I thought fairy boys could just spread their wings and fly?"

People around us begin to snicker. Cory looks to be uncomfortable, but he stays composed. I don't understand. If it was me I'd be pissed, but then again Cory seems to be used to me taunting him.

"What'd you want, Jay?" he asks me in a bored tone of voice. "I don't have any wings you can cut off or any magical wand you can steal in case you haven't noticed. I'm not Harry Potter."

People around us snicker again and I scoff. I move closer and finally I see him flinch. I know he's scared of me even though he hides it well. I move so close that I can grab him and slam him into the lockers behind him. I do this almost every single day just to prove I can.

Cory groans in pain and looks up at me with blurry eyes. "Asshole," he breathes and I let go of him and he slides down the lockers to sit on the floor just as the bell rings, making a pained face. My friends pat my back and move to class. I pretend to do the same, but really I am choosing to stay. I hurt Cory a little more than necessary and I'm aware. I go to my locker. Opening it, I just fumble around after some non-existent books I can't find until I'm positive everyone else is gone. Then I look over at Cory who's still leaned against that locker I slammed him into, rubbing the back of his head. I really don't want to, but I have to make sure he's okay. I mean, if he's not there's a good chance I'll be in big ass trouble. Maybe I'll even get thrown off the team.

I scratch my hair and hesitantly walk over to squad in front of him. I give him a light push on the shoulder and he makes an annoyed face, but doesn't look up.

I sigh. "You gonna live, pretty boy?" I ask, making sure to poke at him to show my annoyance.

"Just go away," he tells me and gets my hand off of him.

"No," I tell him. "It actually looks like you need a nurse."

Now he looks at me with an eyebrow raised and a very skeptical look on his face. "And that's definitely not your fault," he says sarcastically.

I roll my eyes. "Urgh, just cut the shit, fairy boy, all right? I'm sorry," I say and make a face when I see him wince like he thinks I'm gonna hit him again.

I sigh.

Cory looks intensely at me. I'm sure he is wondering what the hell I have going on here. I am too. I've always hated him and I've always known he was the only one who could never really piss me off no matter how much he insulted me. All this is what gets me so worked up when I see him. All the guys used to call him 'faggot'. Just the word made my blood boil so I got everyone to call him 'fairy boy' instead. It suits him better. I reach out my hand for him to take without a word. He looks at it as if I've lost my mind and maybe I have, but Cory needs help. I pick him up and he squirms in surprise.