Chapter Eight

The news of what has happened to Cory's mother spreads fast. I am still amazed by the speed by which information can travel even now in our slightly dysfunctional world. I walk to math class in silence until someone decides to join me. It turns out to be Sadie. She was very quiet when I drove her home last night, but I had the feeling there was something she wanted to tell me. I guess I'm about to find out what that was.

She looks at me timidly. "I messaged Cory. He said he's better, but he's staying home from school today."

I nod. That's a good thing.

"And, uh," she continues. "I also wanted to thank you."

I stop walking. "You don't have thank me," I answer. "I'll be there for him whenever he needs it."

She smiles. "I can see that. But I want to thank you anyways. You've stopped messing around with him at school and you've turned out to be a decent person and not a brainless idiot."

I chuckle. "Does that mean you approve?"

She shrugs. "Keep it up and we'll see," she responds and hurries further down the hall to her classroom. She may not know it but as she leaves, she takes some of the guilt with her. It feels like a stone has been lifted off of me. It's a good start. I kind of like that girl. She's a good friend. My day has become a whole lot better. I'm almost able to concentrate on schoolwork, but mostly I just focus on checking in with Cory to see if he's okay. He tells me to stop worrying so much because it will make my brain go fuzzy. I know he's still very sad, but little comments like that tell me he's going to be okay. In time.

As classes end, I head to the football field, readying to burn off some energy. Practice is a quiet affair mostly. Coach doesn't say much. Sometimes I can see the worry in his eyes. Kind of like he's preparing to flee any moment. Many people seem to have that feeling of paranoia. Mostly the teachers and parents. It's all a repeat of what my father is preaching.

After practice is over, we head to the bleachers to retrieve our water bottles. The mood is light and people are just messing around with each other. It's really nothing until someone mentions the death of Cory's mother. I make a face, wishing they would just change the topic already. But a guy called Spencer is not about to let it go so easily.

"It seems fitting, I think. Now the fairy boy has a fairy mother," he says and people around us all laugh, including Jason.

Spencer takes this as enough encouragement to continue. "Maybe he'll fly up and join her soon."

That's it. Something snaps inside me, and I punch him in the face. Jason and half the football team are there instantly to stop me from tearing the Spencer's throat out. I am so angry they had to fight to hold me down. Jason barks at the others to drag Spencer out of my sight. Then Jason tries to get my attention. He slaps me non-too kindly, yelling at me to calm the fuck down. We stare at each other like angry wolves for a few moments before he decides it's safe enough to let go of me. I sink onto the bleachers, still trying to control my conflicting emotions. Jason looks very worried.

He sits down next to me. "Dude," he says. "What just happened?"

I shrug. "Nothing," I mumble.

He sends me an irritated stare. "Nothing? That wasn't nothing. But you don't wanna tell me? I'm your best friend and you're keeping secrets. Whatever, man."

I grit my teeth. "Jason," I start, not really knowing where I'm going with this.

He looks me dead in the eyes. "Why did you get so mad?"

I look away. "He just got on my nerves, spewing all kinds of bullshit. I just needed him to shut up." I could not come up with any better explanation, but of course leave it to Jason to know exactly that I was chickening out on telling him my dirty little secret.

"Is it Sadie?" he asks then.

"No!" I reply, but I can tell he thinks this is the right answer.

He pats my back. "Man, I'm really sorry. I was really hoping you two would stay together. You seemed so happy just a few days ago."

I run a hand over my face. "I was happy," I tell him.

Just then, everyone seems to be in a bit of an uproar. Jason and I both get up to try and give out what has happened; on a nearby tv-screen in the school's hallway, a live news broadcast is running. It shows the dead invading us. It shows our capital city burning. Simultaneously, someone tells us that a teacher and two students have been killed. I can hardly peel my eyes off the screen. It feels like these images are burning themselves into my mind as well. The capital may be far away, but this is the kind of news no one wants. This is the kind of news we fear of hearing. Everyone at school seem to be in a collective state of shock as we reluctantly continue our day. The official order is to maintain order and society as normally as possible. So that's what we do. But it just feels wrong. That night, I don't go home. I tell my parents that I'm at Jason's, but it is Cory's house I go to. I have dinner with them and we discuss the news of the day. Then we go to sleep. My arms go around Cory as a protective circle. It gives me just a little peace of mind.

And suddenly we are running through the nearby city. Car alarms are going off everywhere and the dead are surrounding us. Our firepower is useless before there is too few of us and too many of them. I yell at Cory to get close to me, so I can protect him to my last breath. Jason, Sadie, and the whole of my crew are also fighting - but we are all losing. My friends are being eaten before my very eyes. I freeze. The only thing I can do is watch as my world burns.

"JAMES!"

Cory screams my name and I want to answer, but someone bites my neck, silencing me forever...

I sit up, gasping and heaving for breath. Cory jolts up, putting his arms around me in an attempt to calm me down. "What's happening?" he said. "What is it?"

I can feel myself shaking and I'm on the verge of tears. I can't find it in myself to speak and Cory looks spooked. He lets go of me and gives me a moment to calm down. For a moment, I was certain that my dream was reality. I was certain. Maybe that was my mind's weird way of reminding me of the things I had firmly attempted to push way from my consciousness. Obviously, it did not work very well.

"What happened?" Cory repeats once my breaths aren't so rapid anymore.

I shake my head.

"Tell me," Cory persists. "I'm not your damn father, so it's not like I'm gonna judge you here."

I look at him, thinking I would normally have laughed at such a comment. I let my hand run over his cheek before I continue. "I'm just afraid of losing you," I tell him.

Blinking a few times, he throws his arms around me, giving me a light peck on the neck. "You'll never lose me," he promises. "I swear. The world can do whatever it wants, but I'll never leave."

I hold him closer. My dad was right. I hate to admit it, but I have to be a soldier now. It doesn't matter if I want to or not. I have to. I have to be able to protect Cory and myself. I am not going down without a fight. So as I leave Cory's house that morning, I take a different road home. I'm making a stop at the local recruitment center. Most people in there will know who I am, but I don't care. As soon as they begin to hand me the sign-up form for the leader's course, I decline and ask for the basic training one instead. I see Jason's name is on there too. It doesn't even surprise me. I just write down my own name.