Chapter Six

When I arrive at school the following day, people congratulate me on our victory last night. Football games are supposed to be a perfectly normal part of high school. To us, it is one of the few highlights. Even if the opponent was just a nearby school, everyone acts as if it was a major win. It feels really good. I know my teammates are enjoying their five minutes of fame too just like I am. As I get to my locker, I see Cory and Sadie standing by theirs. I am about to walk over there and forget everything about keeping our entire relationship secret. Luckily, a stern look from Cory kickstarts my brain. However, I also see something else in Cory's eyes; it's frustration.

"Seriously, Cory," Sadie tells him with her back to me, her voice strained with irritation. "I just wanna take care of you. I don't think James is any good for you. How do you know he's really serious about your relationship?"

Cory doesn't look at her. "I just know! He cares about me!"

She raises an eyebrow, looking slightly desperate. "Yeah... It seems like you're only saying that because you're in love with him. Have you forgotten all those times he's been after you? Because I haven't!"

Cory makes a face. "I haven't forgotten," he promises. "But he cares about me. He does."

I can tell by the tense silence that Sadie is far from convinced. I'm about to turn around and walk away when I get a message from Cory.

Can we meet up?

Out of guilt, I almost want to tell him how sorry I am over the phone, but that's gonna rat me out. Instead, I just tell him yes and we agree to meet at his house. I get there a few minutes before he does, and I decide to crawl onto their roof. The view there is great. You can see the entire city more or less. It's always pulsing, full of life and lights. I put my jacket down and lie on it. My sunglasses are on and I decide to just enjoy the sun and think while I wait for Cory. I can't deny that what Sadie said bugs me. Those feelings hard to push back and they give me a nagging feeling at the pit of my stomach. One that won't go away. It is gonna be there tonight when I'm in bed. The guilt. It's been there for some time, but it has been pretty much constant lately. It's really freaking hard to sleep with thoughts like that twirling around inside. Fucking hell. I take my headphones out and put them on. Maybe some music can distract me. Playing the loudest song I can find, I lie back and concentrate on the music. Slowly, I begin to forget about my surroundings and where I am. Just for a minute. It is exactly what I need to relax and soon I am nodding off. I don't remember falling asleep.

But I sure as hell remember waking up. 

Cory is suddenly there and I begin to smile when I see him – until I get a good look. He's eyes are swollen and brimming with tears that have not fallen yet. The painful burning in my stomach continues and I look at him in panic for a second before I can figure out what to do; what's happened? Why is he so sad? I rip the music from my ears and reach out for him. He reacts by collapsing into my arms. The tears break and I hold him tighter. His little body shakes uncontrollably. Then it hits me; there is only one thing that could make him cry like this and that's his mother. She's not coming home.