Chapter Three

The next day, I wake up early. I take my time getting ready and even showering before heading downstairs for breakfast. The house is empty, which does not come as a surprise to me. Even though I am the one who tries to avoid being home it seems I am the one who is here the most. Talk about a close-knit family. It used to be better, but the years and the world has put a still growing gap between us. Every time I think about it, it just seems to get bigger. In a way, I feel like the same thing is happening to my friendship with Jason. I usually talk to him about anything, but I'm shutting him out now. It is hurtful for the both of us but telling him about the insane thoughts in my head could just be the final straw. I don't want to lose his friendship. It would be washing 10 years of idiocy right down the drain. Fun idiocy.

A headache begins to bug me and I decide to take some aspirin. Normally, I'd avoid this, but these circumstances call for stronger methods. Sighing, I grab my bag and head out. There's a clear purpose in my head. I need to find a way to contact Cory without any of my friends knowing. No idea how I'm gonna do that. I go through the day not listening to the teachers' monologues and not really scribbling any notes. I scribble my irritation instead. Jason acts like things are fine, but when he thinks I don't see it, I catch him with a worried look on his face. Fantastic. It's only a matter of time before he'll corner me again. I can't wait.

As we get past lunch, we manage to miss Cory completely. This is not unusual for Wednesdays. I don't have to push him around then. No doubt, I'd be unable to do that convincingly today. There is a weird feeling in my gut about yesterday and about that little idiot himself. He has to pop up in my head when I least expect it and at really inconvenient times. When I was asked stuff in class and couldn't reply, most people just laughed it off, thinking I did it for show. I did not. Jason was the only one who seemed to know that.

I more or less slam my head on my desk. When I look up, Cory's best friend Sadie is staring at me like I am a lunatic. I frown and before I get a chance to collect my thoughts, she hurries off to find a spot far away from me in science class. That's when a brilliant idea hits me. A smug grin spreads on my face. I just have to wait until class is over. She can get me Cory's phone number. Talking to her is also a great cover because people will just think I'm flirting with her. Just as long as they don't actually hear what I'm really asking her... The idea manifests as class ticks by and as the bell rings, I move to stand in her way, so she cannot get out of the class room. She sends me an annoyed look.

"No, I don't have any notes for you," she says, but it is almost as if she knows it's not why I'm doing this. She looks nervous now.

"I just wanna talk," I say, trying to convince her that I'm being sincere.

Sadie keeps her arms crossed but gives me a chance. "Okay?"

I make sure no one else is left to listen in on us. Turning to her, I say, "Look, I need your help. I sort of need to talk to Cory. Like, secretly..."

She keeps a damn good poker face. "Really? You wanna talk to Cory? You know, without any punching or beating involved?"

I begin to feel like an idiot. "I'm serious, okay? Can you just give me his phone number? Please?"

Sadie shrugs. "I don't know... It's not like you two are friends or anything." She raises her eyebrows and it makes my stomach churn with guilt.

I grit my teeth. "Something happened yesterday. I really need to talk to him – and nobody else needs to know anything about this."

Now Sadie raises an eyebrow. She considers it then. "For the sake of your reputation, you mean." She does not uncross her arms as she looks me over again.

"Please," I ask. "It's important."

She frowns and then sighs. "All right. If I help you, you better not touch another hair on his head. Otherwise, you can be damn sure I'll make you regret it. And another thing; you owe me one for this."